Egyptian Maadi question

John G

The Maadi accepts old hi-cap mags, but are the Russian ones different from E.German or Chinese ones? Also, what about after market magazines? Thanks for your help.

------------------
Where the choice is between only violence and
cowardice, I would advise violence."
— Mohandas Gandhi
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

I think they'll all fit. The E. German have a rib down the backside which makes it stronger than the Chicom. Except for the orange plastic ones, haven't seen any Russian made ones.

Yup, they'll take any of the AK mags regardless of where they were made. I don't know if there are aftermarket magazines made byt the likes of USA mags and so on, but with the cheap and available surplus military mags available, I would steer clear of aftermarket mags. Too many of them are junk and can cause even an AK to turn into a cronic jammer.
BTW, I know that V50 Gary was thinking about the orange bakelite mags made for the AK-74 in 5.45mm (a little straighter shape than the 7.62 mags) but just so you know, there are plastic mags made that will fit in the 7.62 AK. They are made in Romania and Russia that I can think of off hand and are sold by K-Var. Only catch is that they are pretty pricey compared to plain-Jane steel mags so there is no real advantage to using them unless it's a collector type of thing.

I have a Chinese bakelite (orange plastic) 7.62x39 30rnd mag. These often sell at shows for $70 each. The 5.45x39 bakelite mags are a dime a dozen (almost).

There aren't a whole lot of Russian AK mags out there. EGerman "ribbed" mags are very sturdy, but any com-bloc AK mag will prove to be highly reliable. The Bulgarians made some sweet black "waffle pattern" mags in both 7.62 and 5.45.

waffle.JPG

John, I have a Maadi and a Norinco 56S-1. I use E. German and Hungarian. They are both ribbed and are industrial strength. I would never, ever use a USA brand mag in any gun I own.

------------------
"middle of the road"-where a yellow streak and dead carcasses are found.

Back