Effectiveness of shotgun loads on hogs

Brent

I am going hog hunting with my brother two weeks from now and would like to get some opinions on how effective shotgun slugs and buckshot are on hogs.

Here's the setup:

I will be carrying a .308 with Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. We will both be in separate tree stands 50-100 yards away from a feeder. My brother is considering using my 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs or buckshot. The shotgun has a smooth bore cylinder with rifle sights.

1) Would rifled slugs be effective for a 1 shot stop?

2) Would heavy buckshot ('0'/'00/'000') be effective for a 1 shot stop?

3) Considering that the 3" slugs and buckshot have a hellish recoil with a several second recovery time for the shooter, would it be better to use 2.75" shells for fast follow up shots, or would it be better to attempt a 1 shot drop with a 3" shell?

Have seen a 240lb. hog do the two-step drop and die with a 2 3/4" slug at 75 yards. If your brother is not familiar with the gun however, he should go to a range and really figure it out. Slugs can do cooky things!

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Off the cuff, I'd think slugs would be more effective than any shot, except maybe while walking and at very close range. Just a guess.

It would be wise to try him with both "hot loads" and standards, remembering that y'all need to use some padding if shooting from a bench rest. Don't get him into flinch mode. The perceived recoil when shooting from a stand is much less than from the bench.

FWIW, Art

I can't say as I would recommend buckshot too highly. I had the unpleaseant experience of trying to put a small doe down with 3" #4 buck a few years back (not by choice). To make this story short, I put 3 rounds into it at ranges varying from 15-30 yards. It went down, but I wasn't impressed with the results. I'm sure larger buck would have worked better, but it wasn't available.

Back