effectiveness of LD 65 gr 355 extreme defense

stagpanther

I started loading these for my 9mm carbine, I'm a big fan of Lehigh Defense's pistol bullets since they generally perform very well out of both my pistols and rifles. This particular bullet also has a pretty big cavity in the base which allows more powder capacity in the case.

I like to read user's reviews to get an idea of how well they work for them, but this one had an entry on LD's website from a customer which, as he notes, isn't like your every day review:

"
02/28/19
Brice t
"Not the normal review, but I was shot by this bullet that I personally loaded. It definitely does what it says. Collapsed a lung and broke 5 ribs. Went straight thru clothing and out the back also. Nobody will keep moving after being hit by this. I will always carry it in my Walther ... awesome defense bullet!":eek:

I started loading these for my 9mm carbine, I'm a big fan of Lehigh Defense's pistol bullets since they generally perform very well out of both my pistols and rifles. This particular bullet also has a pretty big cavity in the base which allows more powder capacity in the case.

If you have two bullets of the same weight and the same nose shape, but one has a hollow base, and they are loaded to the same cartridge overall length, the hollow base does not allow more powder capacity in the case. The space available for the powder is the same.

Read through this forum link to see why: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/unexpected-results-38-spl.860298/

I tested this bullet using Silhouette powder, and I can confirm, the 65 grain goes straight through the level IIIA vest I shot it at. Any velocity over about ~1700 FPS went right through. And I was shooting in a 4" barrel, and it was doing like 1825 FPS at like 9.8 grains of powder.

This is UNLIKE some other lightweight bullets, that when tested, did NOT penetrate IIIA vests. It must be the screwdriver design.

If you have two bullets of the same weight and the same nose shape, but one has a hollow base, and they are loaded to the same cartridge overall length, the hollow base does not allow more powder capacity in the case. The space available for the powder is the same.
I should have made it clear--this bullet is not in QL's database, so I had to take the next closest one I could find in it's database and adjust the bullet dimension's and weight downward--which did increase the capacity. Sorry about implying, though it wasn't my intention, that it would somehow increase capacity over a same weight/shape bullet (I heard that "well that's lame" sigh LOL).
I tested this bullet using Silhouette powder, and I can confirm, the 65 grain goes straight through the level IIIA vest I shot it at. Any velocity over about ~1700 FPS went right through. And I was shooting in a 4" barrel, and it was doing like 1825 FPS at like 9.8 grains of powder.
I'm using longshot--in my 16" PCC I'm getting over 2,200 fps. Soft-shooting and low-noise report even through a simple flash-hider. My eyes are pretty bad--but at 50 yds with an unmagnified red-dot I can come close to 1 inch--with a good scope I bet I could get MOA.

Last edited:
I think out of a 16" like you have, for a pistol round, you cannot do better on planet earth, than the 65 grain LEHIGH. 2200 FPS, is as good as it gets with the dmg that bullet does. very impressive. Longshot is good, but you may get better are similar results with less compression with Sil.

Back