Effective range of the .45-70?

Erik

I've heard that the .45-70 is good out to 200 yards for non-dangerous game. Is this your experience? I'm thinking of getting a Marlin 1895SS. Do any of you use this for elk and mule deer? What are your experiences with the Marlins? And finally do you scope them or go iron sights?

Thanks - Erik

Eric - Since you qualified your question by stating the rifle type, I agree with your 200 yard number for the effective range of the .45-70, give or take a few yards. However, let me elaborate a bit.

I've found the .45-70 to be a very effective cartridge, even with black powder. I've hunted with a Sharps in .45-70 and it can propel a 405 grain bullet to 500 yards with plenty of snap remaining at impact, as evidenced by the dents in my steel targets.

Keep in mind that I am shooting through a 34" barrel compared to the Marlin's 20", so there will be a loss in muzzle velocity and effective distance. But again, 200 yards with factory loaded .45-70 seems quite reasonable.

Sorry, but I can't offer you any advice on the specific Marlin you mentioned, but I do have other Marlins that have been nothing but accurate and reliable for many years!

Good luck.

Given

> And finally do you scope them or go iron sights?

That, my friend, is your choice. Myself I would put on a scout scope... low power, out there where you can use both eyes with it, on QD mounts. I'd have a Ghost Ring Rear for back up. That way you have the best of both worlds and can use either.

Check out Jim West's Lever Action Accessories . He makes a scout scope base and ghost ring rear for just such rifle.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 04, 2000).]

I'm sure a stout .45-70 is good for medium-sized game out to 200, but past that... I'll take something faster.

Re optics, what Schmit said. I had a Tasco Pronghorn on my Marlin 1895, until I realized that I wouldn't take a shot past 100 yards anyway, and at targets considerably larger than men (mooses is big), so I took the scope and leaf sight off and installed a Redfield ghost ring. Great snap-shooting accuracy for me.

HTH, YMMV, $.02.

The 45-70 doesn't have as flat a trajectory as the more modern cartridges such as the 300 Winchester or 7mm; however, it does have certain advantages. A heavy bullet retains it's velocity better than a light one. The 45-70 propelled with black powder is capable of pushing a 500 grain bullet at around 1300-1400 fps. The velocity is still better than half that at 500 yards which makes the 45-70 still a very formidable cartridge for hunting purposes. With a hot smokeless loading (or even with a good black powder loading) I don't think that their is an animal on this earth that couldn't (and probably hasn't) been stopped dead in it's tracks with it.

The 45/70 is my favorite rifle I have. As schmit mentioned the rear peep from Jim West. I have this sight and love it. I use my co-pilot for defense and close bear hunting. I personally will limit my range to about 100-125 yrds, but thats me.

Gy, you mentioned before about the guide gun being a tradeoff from the co-pilot. I never put 2 and 2 together about it.As usual I'm still learning from a fellow SNCO. Semper Fi.
Joel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Gy, you mentioned before about the guide gun being a tradeoff from the co-pilot. I never put 2 and 2 together about it.[/quote]

Yeah, most people don't, they take it for granted that the "big guy" had it first. I remember the first time I saw Jim's Co-Pilot. I was stationed in AK and was attending a show. I was about 20 yards away from Jims table going over to see him. The people cleared out in front and there they were... one assembled on a stand and one broken down on the table. All else ceased to exist at that moment and I walked over in a trance to touchy feely. It was like a revelation. :D

I will be taking delivery late this week on an octagonal barrel Marlin 45-70, converted to break down by David Clay in Texas....David has designed the breakdown to avoid wear on the uninterrupted threads that can occur with the CoPilot.

The sights are being done by Ashley Emerson himself. The ammunition has been ordered from our own Randy Garret. The scope is conspicuously absent.

Different people buy the same weapon for different reasons. For me, the 45-70 will be employed to put considerable power onto short range targets as quickly as possible.

Why no scope? The Scout scope is fast...but not as fast as a ghost ring, especially on a stock that's set up for iron sights. As has been pointed out, the effective range of the 45-70 is 200 yards. That's the outside limit. Most shots, for me will be taken inside a 100 yards. In any case, optical magnification is not critical. Finally, IMHO, with the trajectory of that 45-70, the greatest margin of error will be bullet drop, not point of aim. So if you scope it to get a more precise shot, your range estimation and trajectory/hold calculation best be reflex.

YMMV...and probably will. ;)
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited April 05, 2000).]

Thanks guys- very helpful. It looks as if I'll get a Winchester M70 Classic SS in 30-06 this year. The 45-70 will have to wait for now- I'll probably end up with a Guide from the sound of things. Either way, it is all good!

Erik

Back