Effective range of factory loaded .222 Remington

N.Y.G MP Pvt

I aquired a Remington 700 BDL in .222 from my fiance's aunt.She bought it in 1971 for $154.90(those were the days huh?). Anyway I had it inspected and boresighted (it came w/ a Weaver V12), but haven't shot it yet. I puchased a box of Winchester Supreme 40gr. ballistic silver tips. I am familiar w/ .223 but not .222. I just want to know what to expect from this cartridge and/ or setup.

I'd say that load is good to 200 yards for varmints up to coyote/bobcat size. Crows, groundhogs, etc. It has some 75 to 100 yards more capability than the .22 Hornet or .218 Bee, without the noise of the .22-250 or the .220 Swift.

If you use 50-grain to 55-grain bullets, and hold for a perfect neck shot--and assuming you're calm and skilled in deer-hunting--you *can* take small whitetails. I don't recommend it, however; it's just not really enough gun.

But for sure you should have a sweet-shooting little varmint rifle. Try it out, and keep us posted.

:), Art

I agree with Art. The .222 is great up to about 200-225 yds. Its effective range up to that point is limited more by the inherient accuracy of the particular rifle, the ammo, and the shooter. Just about any .222 benefits greatly from some good handloads - it's a great round to handload.

Back