effective combat range and conceability

cana

What is the effective combat range of a 5 shot, J frame revolver? Can 5 shot speedloaders be comfortably carried in front jeans' pockets? If not, how can I conceal them? 90% of the time I wear jeans, T shirt or button up shirts. It's always too hot to wear an outside garment, and I don't like fanny packs very much...

Effective range of a J frame is a lot longer than one would normaly be using in a defensive situation. A bit of practice and center of mass hits at a hundred yards should be no problem.

Speed loader fair in pocket, speed strip in watch pocket more subtile and easier to get to. Speed strip takes a lot of practice to use rapidly.

A good tool is only as good as the craftsman using it.

Sam

100 yards with a J frame?

Why would you have even tried to see if it could be done?

I am truly impressed. I want you on my side if I am ever in a gunfight!

For me, the effective range with a J frame is more like about 10 (yep ten) yards.

And I think a speedloader in the front pocket of jeans would be very noticable and rather uncomfortable, unless you fancy those baggy rapper kind of jeans.

100 yards with a J frame - try it sometimes, it is astonishing what you can do if you try. The 158 LSWC drops about 12 inches at that range.

Giz

C.R.Sam and I shoot 12 gauge hulls at 10 yrds for competion between ourselves.Lots of fun with M 36's.He cheats and uses a 3".Mine is the 2".
Aim small miss small

I regularly shoot my 2" M-10 at 25 yards and get 3" groups. The J frames are a little harder to manage but they do have the "mechanical" accuracy to do the same. The shooter is the only limitation.
Combat range of course is about ten yards and they are both capable at that distance

I used to be able to get hits at 100 yards with my Model 60. Then I got arthritis in my shoulder and I can't throw it that far anymore.

Seriously, you guys shame me. I'm not bad at 15 yards. At 25, the notion of "groups" is gone entirely although I can still hit the paper--somewhere.

RJ

Agree with Sam..,.

When I USED TO wear a snub I figured farthest shots at 20yds (didn't need to worry about stuff farther away) and speed strips or another gun (my personal preference and method of reloading).

Back in the 50's there was some shark hitting the NRA pistol matches. He was betting the match shooters that he could out shoot them at 50 yards with a Colt Detective Special 2", FIRING DA ONLY. He had a Dick Spec. that was sighted in, tuned and tweaked. He also, no doubt shot it a BUNCH. He cleaned up, big time. If you practice enough and have the talent, you can do almost any thing.

A few years ago Massad Ayoob did some snubby shooting at 100 yards, for a court case. he reported best results with the Colt Dick.

Most of us--10 yards or so.

A J-frame is on the ankle whenever in long pants. A M12 K-frame is often IWB under an untucked polo. The K-frame speedloader and a Speed Srip both fit into the right front pocket of my Dockers or safari shorts w/o difficulty. In jeans, which are naturally tighter, the J-frame loader is no problem, though I usually put it in the watch pocket. The Strip goes into the front pocket to keep the bulk to a minimum.

Assuming DA fire while standing at 25yds, I can usually do 6" with the J, and 4" with the K. Halve that if I rest them at the bench, with their preferred ammo.:D

One thing that works good -- use only brass-case ammo, and handle its outside diameter a bit. It will get a slight texture and wont slip out of your fingers if you ever have to load directly by hand. Much harder to load with slippery nickel-plated cartridges. L

"effective range" involves being able to hit your target - but it also involves remaining energy - which with a .38 Spc. drops off fairly fast.

Taking the concerns about remaining energy into account, I'd vote with C.R. Sam - those little suckers will suprise you if you do your part.

Back