effect of sear block removal on value of RRA LAR-15

3panther

Inactive
New here but have been viewing the site for a while - great site.

A family friend has an RRA LAR-15 for sale. I am used to military M-16s and saw an area of milled metal in the lower receiver I was concerned about (see pic). I just figured out from online searches that the sear block has been removed. What would this do to the value of the weapon? I see from various posts here and elsewhere that sear block removal is technically legal. Thanks, Al

Attachments

• IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
My guess is that was done to allow the past owner to play around with "lightning link" type accessories

While removing the block is not illegal, it sure didnt help the value of the gun. With AR's being so cheap right now, i would pass on buying that gun. Unless its a SCREAMING deal. Like cheap enough that i could replace the lower and still be good money wise.

Dont misunderstand, that lower is COMPLETELY legal. But the only reason to remove that block was to allow that gun to be full-auto. Nobody with a RDIAS is going to Dremel out the block like its been done. So, that tells me it was most probably a unregistered Lightning link deal.

Should you now need to use that gun in a SD/HD situation, there COULD be issues. Namely that alteration could speak to mindset.

I would replace that lower (new lowers can be had for under $100) and avoid the POTENTIAL trouble.

These sell new for about $1000 from RRA. He was looking for $700 and we were talking at $675 before I saw this. Not sure how to value this now.

Years ago before sear blocks you could buy a DROP IN SEAR for 25 bucks or less . Thousands sold at gun shows and still being sold today .

Id offer him $500 and explain why. Then i would order a new lower swap it all out and trash the modified lower.

I just wouldnt want to explain WHY i had a lower with the block cut out in any kind of legal hassle.

I like how whomever did it came back in and half-filled the pocket with some kind of epoxy that they managed to get all over the place before repainting the lower. Or is that just three layers of paint with some runs and pools? :eek:

Yea... I'd pass.

Maybe for $400-450, if the rest was decent. But, at that price, I'd be looking at it as buying an upper receiver and some lower parts. The lower receiver would be considered trash in my eyes, and replaced immediately (and any worn parts along with it).

Back