Educate me on scopes

Pops1085

Hi all, so I am actually pretty new to shooting at distances with rifles and scopes and was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. For my whole life I've mainly just shot iron sights out to 100 yards and have very limited experience beyond that range. Anyways, when I have shot rifles with scopes I always felt like I was more accurate when I was shooting with a lower magnification and wobbled much less and felt like I jerked much less than with higher magnifications. Does that make sense to any of you or is it just me? I guess I'd like to know whether it's easier to shoot more accurately with high magnification or low.

My end goal here is eventually to learn how to shoot out too longer distances such as 500 yards, but that's obviously a ways away.

There are always tradeoffs.

For my whole life I've mainly just shot iron sights out to 100 yards
That is impressive in itself and give yourself some credit. .... :)

I guess I'd like to know whether it's easier to shoot more accurately with high magnification or low.
At face value, I have to say; YES .... ;)

Now comes the whatever. It all depends on the service and quality of the optics. If you are hunting, then you don't need as much magnification as opposed to punching paper at 200yds. Ideally you only want enough magnification to have a decent group, into the bull. Generally, the higher the magnification the more wobble in your field. Can you be more specific?

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

Yes I understand what you are talking about. The same effect happens if you have a camera with high zoom and it is being held by hand it shakes a bunch. If the same camera is placed on a tripod it stabilizes. If you have a good rest to shoot from you will get a much better stable view. If you have the magnification cranked and are standing it will be much harder to stabilize than it if you have it on a bi pod.

You wobble just as much on low magnification as you do on high mag. You just don't notice it as much. Think about it: It's not the magnification which makes you wobble. :)

A new discipline !!!

You wobble just as much on low magnification as you do on high mag.
That is so very true and hard to imagine that this same wobble was there when you shot open sights. Just like the discipline you used on open sights, the mind will program itself when shooting optics. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

You wobble just as much on low magnification as you do on high mag. You just don't notice it as much. Think about it: It's not the magnification which makes you wobble.

Yes but it is more evident to our eyes as the field of view is reduced.

There is a reason 3-9X40 scopes are by far the most popular. Set it on 3X and you have a fairly low powered optic with a wide field of view. It is easy to pick up the target quickly and get off shots at close range when hunting. With the magnification set on 9X you have enough magnification for large game such as deer out well past 500 yards. For precision shooting or smaller varmints at 500 yards more magnification is needed, but very few people really need more than a 3-9X scope. If you do there are options ranging up to 20X or even more than 30X. But those can get ultra expensive and are only for specialized use.

Fixed power scopes such as 2X, 4X, 6X and 10X are available. Years ago variables were considered less reliable. And technically still are, but the difference is insignificant.

Lower powered 1-4X20 and 2-7X32 scopes are another option. The lower magnification is even faster up close and if the higher magnification is not needed they are a good option. These are popular on close range rifles such as lever action 30-30's etc. I use 1-4X20's on my AR's for fast shooting up close and on 4X I'm good to 200-300 yards if needed.

Scopes offer several other advantages. As long as the magnification is kept under 3X they are actually faster to use than irons. Just put the cross hair on the target and pull the trigger. With irons you have to line up the front sight, rear, sight, and target. All 3 at different distances from the eye and it is impossible for the eye to focus on more than 1.

They also make it much easier to see the target in low light. There are a lot of times when it is simply too dark to see either the target or sights when using irons. Put the scope on the target and it is an easy shot.

Scopes aren't just for long range shooting. They are just as effective (and better than irons) at 10 yards as 1000 yards.

Magnification magnifies everything, including motion, that's why cameras & binoculars have image stabilizers fitted.
I've shot to 650 with a 4X scope regularly, but if high power makes you feel more comfortable then go with it.

To specify, I'm really only interested in shooting paper at this point. I wouldn't feel comfortable enough at this point to take a shot on an animal at more than 200 yards. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial to start with a low power optic and work my way up to more magnification or is it better to start with a higher magnification and just shoot until you get used to the increased (perceived) wobble? I'm always going to be either shooting prone or from a bench.

I think I may look into a new rifle here soon, probably a .308, but that's another topic in itself.

I shot everything with irons for many years... I enjoyed it the most. When I hit 40, my eyes, glasses, and irons didn't coexist together well any more so I switched to optics... 4x is the most I need, still pretty stable to minimize the effects of movement... 3-9x or 2-10x can cover most of the paper punching that you will face.

1x dots are nice, because they get along with prescription glasses well, and is probably good up to 100-150yds.

I've got a small collection of vintage weaver scopes from eBay that are still good and give a nice retro look...

Shooting paper at known distances is from a stable position during daylight. So, super quality, large lenses are not an absolute necessity; don't need "light gathering". Often, you can just "set it and forget it" for shorter distances.

Fixed power scopes do well. For only out to 200 yards, 10X to 14X should do well.

My only experience with higher magnification was with a 6-24x40. .223 holes at 100 yards were easily seen on 24X.

For variable distances during a shooting session, precision adjustments become very important. Change elevation by x clicks up and x clicks back down should be an exact return to the previous setting. Same for variations in wind, during a session.

I've been able to get small groups with low-power scopes. I guess that a proper set-up on the bench and consistency in rifle placement on the sandbags, consistency in holding it, consistency in breathing and trigger squeeze and not being in a hurry are more important than what's sitting on top of the rifle. :)

For reasonable distances (out to 600 yds or so) I've found 3~9 or even 2~8 give a good balance between power & versatility. They also have the advantage of being very popular & so reasonably priced.
The trick being GOOD quality, in optics you get exactly what you pay for.

I have killed mule deer at 500 yards with the scope on 2X and 7X.
It does not make any difference.
A deer is a big target at 500 yards. The problem is compensating for trajectory and wind.

I know what you mean about high power scopes being difficult to shoot, particularly from unstable positions - i.e. offhand. I think part of it is you start trying to "fight" the wobble, which only seems to make things worse. However, if you are shooting prone, or off of a bench, there really shouldn't be any very much, if any, wobble - so if precision is your goal, I would go with higher powered scopes. If you want to shoot very small groups at distances of 400-500 yards, you're going to need at least 12x, ideally even more.

However, if you just want to ring steel you can definitely get away with lower magnifications.

Also, keep in mind that it's not just magnification. Honestly, you will be able to see and shoot distant targets better with a high quality 6x scope than a crappy 12x scope.

I always felt like I was more accurate when I was shooting with a lower magnification and wobbled much less and felt like I jerked much less than with higher magnifications. Does that make sense to any of you or is it just me? I guess I'd like to know whether it's easier to shoot more accurately with high magnification or low.

You wobble the same amount either way. You can just see it better with high magnification.

What's happening with hi powered scopes is that: yes you wobble the same, but people tend to over correct more on higher magnification. I like lowest mag possible myself.

A good rule of thumb: the higher the magnification, the more stability needed. Pretty simple. This goes hand in hand with the (also simple) concept that, the greater the accuracy desired, the more the rifle must be held still. Many people can shoot a scoped rifle using 4X magnification pretty accurately, off hand. NO ONE can do the same using say, 36X magnification. With really high magnification, a proper front rest, combined with a rear bag under the stock, is mandatory.

Much depends on the accuracy required. If trying to shoot tight groups at 300 yards, for example, then higher magnification and a more stable rest will be advantageous, even necessary. If only trying to shoot a deer in the vitals at 100 yards, however, then lower magnification and no rest may do.

Generally speaking, it is easier to shoot with lower magnification, for just the reason the OP describes (and others further explained)....the "shakes" are less of a problem. But, for really precise shooting, high magnification may be necessary, depending on the circumstances.

The rule I follow is to use the lowest magnification that will get me the results I want. Simple as that.

If you are shooting from an uber stable rest, you can hold steady enough to take advantage of higher magnifications.

My experience a few years back shooting at prairie dogs off cross sticks in the field taught me that 6 to 7x was as high as I could go and not be put off by the reticle wobbling around.

After some futzing around I put a 6x IOR scope on my field rifle with the MP8 reticle. I had no issues hitting the little vermin at distances just beyond 500 yards with regularity.

I also learned that good lenses made of good glass keep your image sharp and bright and that clarity is far more important than magnification for field use.

YMMV.

As Art explained, high power scopes don't cause wobble, they simply magnify the wobble you see on the target. I prefer 2.5 x 8 scopes (Leupold Vari-X III) on my hunting rifle - they have been terrific taking game from less thatn 25 yards to well over 400 yards. The quality of scopes corresponds very closely to the prices!!!

Back