EDC flashlight

XDforever

Okay guys and gals,

I find myself looking for suggestions from you all about a good pocket carry EDC flashlight. Something that can clip on the pocket, has lots of lumens, doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Ok, GO.......

Joe

I am a big fan of Streamlight protac 2aa series of flashlights for the purpose of clipping to the front pocket and being available for any reason.

They hold up to an hard use work environment and if you get rechargeable batteries you won't have to keep buying batteries. They're extremely durable and they're also extremely bright. I have used them for an inspection light for a number of years.

The only problem I've had with them is that they are really nice flashlights and so people like to steal them. The warranty is excellent this is the unopened package from the last time I had to use the warranty.

I keep it in my truck to open in case of an emergency. I've shifted more to the Streamlight Stinger HL for the work because I can recharge it from the wall.
b893c979ac60c7f1953427b8ae03e377.jpg

Mini-Maglite , 2 - cell AA batteries , with pocket clip .
#M2A016 ... $12.75
Reasonable price , compact , light weight , long life and full MagLite warranty .
Gary

i like streamlight too...my everyday carry is the ProTac 1L-1AA...350 lume good throw...it will run on 1- AA cell or 1-123 cell... good batt life

i also have a ProTac 2L-X....it uses 2-123 cells or 1-18650 cell....500 lume...also good throw and i use the 18650 batts in it because i have a bunch of them i recharge for a lot of other toys

they work good and they are bright....

the 1L gets used everyday for the last couple years... because it is on my belt, always...i would be lost without it...if it took a sht today i would have another one just like it tomorow...oh and call streamlight for the warranty for a replacement...lol...2 is 1 and 1 is none

Olight baton 3 in neutral white. Has good brightness, good throw, good natural color, magnetic charging. Great edc light, not the best for tactical use due to no tailcap button. Look at the warrior series if you want tactical.

I went with belt carry - a Surefire G2 Nitrolon LED with a Surefire polymer V70 Speed Holster. Iu use that flashlight all the time, really don't know how I got along without it.

thanks for all the suggestions guys. I ordered this one a couple of days ago from Midway USA...... Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA Flashlight Coyote..... It should be here Wednesday. And then, I go to the new Bass Pro Shop in Grand Prairie, TX today and found it in person for only $3 more. Bummer! Oh well, here's hoping it is a good one.

Joe

you will love that light...it is the one i carry daily..i run it on the 123 batts...i get them from battery junction...they have a brand called Titanium innovations....these batts last a good while and if you catch them on sale are about $1 a piece...i buy them in a 12 pack....i think they last as long as a AA batt in this light and make a little more light

i think it comes with a belt pouch for it..i know its big brother does...ProTac 2L...i use 18650 batts in it

i carry my ProTac 1L in a leather 1871 belt holster..along with a benchmade barrage.....i had that long before benchmade did the turn...i like their stuff but i havent bought any new stuff from them since the buy back trick they pulled...just me

good light..you will like it

I'm also a fan of a Streamlight with a rechargeable battery. There may be better options out there now but I am a big fan of this light and an 18650 rechargeable battery:

Streamlight ProTac 2L-X

If you want to keep one in long term storage for emergency use, a pair of CR123 batteries is best but if you use it regularly, an 18650 battery saves a lot of money.

I have different brands of lights including Surefire, Streamlight, Olight, Fenix, and Nitecore. I really like Nitecore and carry the EDC33 right now. It has a long lasting rechargable battery and 5 power modes. It has a 4000 mAh battery and puts out 4000 lumens. It has a lock out switch so you don't burn a hole in your pants and a easy to use tail cap. It only cost $69.95, which is an incredible value.

A first report on the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA, It came yesterday and it arrived in perfect condition. Midway boxed it very well. It has 3 modes, high, strobe, and low. One click for high, two for strobe, and three for low. I didn't like that so did the 10 tap reprogram and now it is a high only. I do not have to cycle through any other modes. I absolutely love it. It takes 1 CR-123 battery and gets 350 lumens. In a pinch, it can also take 1 AA battery, but only gets 150 lumens with that. I got a pack of 12 CR-123 batteries from Amazon for not much $$. I should be good with this flashlight for quite a while. It came with a belt sheath, not sure why though. I may try it and see if I like carrying it that way instead of clipped to my pocket. The clip is a 2 way job so I can clip it to my cap as a headlamp if needed. All in all, thus far it is an excellent purchase. $41 at Midway. $44 at Bass Pro. I used it tonight while walking the dog, it is all I need.

Joe

@XD Forever, did you notice the Nitecore light I wrote about above has a 4000 mAh rechargeable battery? No more CR123s for me. Those add up over time. The lumen output is also way higher. They really are worth looking at.

stephen426 said:
I have different brands of lights including Surefire, Streamlight, Olight, Fenix, and Nitecore. I really like Nitecore and carry the EDC33 right now. It has a long lasting rechargable battery and 5 power modes. It has a 4000 mAh battery and puts out 4000 lumens. It has a lock out switch so you don't burn a hole in your pants and a easy to use tail cap. It only cost $69.95, which is an incredible value.

Thanks for describing better than me. This is kind of my point. Nitecore is not just another option. They are just so much better/more powerful, compact or full size than the comparable options.

I have gotten away from non-rechargeable batteries except in my handgun lights. While streamlight makes a great light, I would 100% opt for something rechargeable. You will be surprised how quickly lights go through CR123s

The only issue is with CR123, a quick battery swap gets you back to business while rechargeable batteries need time to recharge. The battery capacity on some of these lights are pretty amazing, so if you keep an eye on them, you should be okay.

Acebeam Pokelit AA
Stupid name, excellent EDC pocket flashlight for <$30. Rechargeable battery with USB port on-board included, or use standard AA. Comparable to the Oight i5R. Both are great, the Pokelite is more budget friendly. I highly recommend. I have gifted five of them to family.

The only issue is with CR123, a quick battery swap gets you back to business while rechargeable batteries need time to recharge. The battery capacity on some of these lights are pretty amazing, so if you keep an eye on them, you should be okay.
One fact a lot of people overlook, you can replacement and or extra rechargeable batteries for your light for a quick swap if you do run dead for some reason. kind of negated the CR123 easy swap argument for me. And in the long run a $20 battery will pay for itself in probably a years worth of use.

Back