EDC and pant sag.

keithdog

My EDC in the cooler months is a Walther PPKS 9MM. Love the gun. I carry it in an OWB Veeder pancake style holster. I love the gun and the holster. I much prefer OWB over IWB when I can. More comfortable. My issue, is that when wearing the holstered gun, my pants start to sag on the gun carry side, dragged down by the gun. I'm always having to tug my pants back up, this despite how tight I make my belt. Is it because I am using a regular store bought everyday leather belt? Would a true gun holster belt end the problem of sagging pants syndrome?

The PPK/S is a nice EDC , My EDC is a Colt New Agent in 45ACP 3".The way to go is a Kore Essentials EDC gun belt , it the best belt I ever owned , very comfortable , great adjustments . Never had a EDC Belt but it's my every day belt . Will solve your problem . Check them out you won't be disappointed .

Chris

Yes a real gun belt (I use a couple that have carbon fiber inserts) will pretty much eliminate your sag problem. Lots of good brands out there, for the most part just make sure they're made in the USA out of quality materials.

I have a good heavy leather belt and only carry OWB, but the only gun I have that doesn't drag my pants down is the P32.

I don't think it matters much what belt you have, if you're trying to strap it around the bottom third of a beach ball it's difficult to get it to stay up. In my case loosing some weight would make the biggest difference.

Some good points are in here. The belt has to go below your stomach to be successful and be a little tight.

In addition, for many people a shoulder holster or pocket gun work best.

WyMark
Bottom third of a beach ball , that was a first for me , made me laugh out loud . Loose that thing for your own good .Be Well .

Chris

Belt buckle angle is a critical factor. :D

If your belt-buckle is vertical, or nearly vertical with respect to the floor when standing, then a good holster and a good belt should prevent pant sag. The closer the belt-buckle is to being horizontal to the floor when standing, the more pant sag will be a problem.

Suspenders are an option if belt buckle angle is the problem.

I too have a “beach ball” belly. I use the Kore Essentials gun belt too. Works great. The ratcheting adjustments work really well for my situation. Think Hank Hill. Big gut. No butt.
Instructor type belts work really well for me too. I have a 5.11 and a Galco.

Is it because I am using a regular store bought everyday leather belt? Would a true gun holster belt end the problem of sagging pants syndrome?

The answer to both questions is likely to be yes. I am a fan of BeltMan myself. The lines about beach balls and horizontal buckles are the kinds of humor with a lot of truth behind it though.

Last edited:
A sturdy wide (1.5" or more) belt should be good enough. It needs to be fairly stiff, if it is soft and flexible it's not going to work as well, in my experience.

Everything also tends to work better if the belt fits the holster loops. That eliminates one area where things can shift around and that helps.

Here's my take on the whole deal.

1. Don't be overly ambitious on the gun you plan to carry, in terms of size and weight. I think you're ok here. The PPK/S isn't a big gun, nor is it too heavy.
2. Get a good quality, sturdy holster that is purpose made for the gun you intend to carry.
3. Get a good quality, sturdy belt that is exactly the right width for the loops/slots in the holster.
4. Understand you are going to have to wear the belt fairly tight--maybe a little tighter than you would normally choose for comfort--and the heavier the gun, the tighter it will need to be.
5. Your body shape may complicate things. If you don't have anything to keep the belt in place, you can't make it work without suspenders.
6. You may need to adjust how you wear your pants. If you normally pull them up pretty high above your waistline or wear them very low on your hips, then that's going to be a problem. The belt will need to rest where there are body features to keep it from sliding down.

I'm not especially svelte, and I have a little bit of belt-buckle lean, but using the above general guidelines, I can carry a full-sized gun all day without having to constantly hitch up my pants.

The main foundation for conceal carry is going to be a good gun belt that will support the weight of the gun you carry. This will keep your gun next to your body without sagging outward as it happens with regular dress belts. A good gunbelt is always a must have.

. . . . I'm always having to tug my pants back up, this despite how tight I make my belt. Is it because I am using a regular store bought everyday leather belt? Would a true gun holster belt end the problem of sagging pants syndrome?
Yes. There's a world of difference between a "regular store bought every day belt" and a gun belt.

A good gunbelt is important, but it can only do so much if you have no hips or no butt. I use Perry Ubee suspenders under my shirt to help hold everything in place.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I carry a Beretta 85 in an OWB holster on a regular 1.5" belt I got at some department store. Worked fine before I started carrying. But once I added the gun to it, I just had to pop an extra hole in it to tighten it down a bit more. Pant sag has not been an issue for me. But then again my body geometry allows for favorable "belt-buckle angle".

After looking at gun belts online, picking the right length is quite confusing. One would think you simply need to be a certain length beyond your waist size, but no. Something about putting on your normal belt, taking a measurement from where the hole is you use when you tighten it. I think I have that right?

Most belt manufacturers have some kind of belt sizing guide on their website. Generally, though, that's correct. Measure your current belt from the buckle to the hole that you usually use to fasten the belt. Also, be sure to take into account whether you're going to carry IWB or OWB.

Get yourself a Kangaroo Carry shoulder holster. Lets the straps out to the max. Rotate the whole thing 180 degrees from its design intent. You now have an OWB holster that is not hooked to your belt.

Suspenders help you stand up straight and suck in your gut, and they don't cut you in half like a belt. You can get Welch work suspenders for a little over $20. Add your own Carhartt brass suspender buttons with an ordinary hammer. I will never go back to belts.

P.S.: Belts supposedly contribute to high blood pressure.

Back