Ed Brown's Custom 1911

ROSANGHAL

Does anyone here have any experience with Ed Brown's Custom 1911's?

I'd appreciate the feedback and comments on them.

Thanks
Ross T.

Well, I haven't shot one or handled one, but I do love Ed Brown 1911 parts, and have tried out quite a few of them...

I have been very pleased with the fit and finish of the various parts that I have used, which ranged from their maxi-well, beaver tail grip safety, extended magazine release, guide rod, 8 rnd. magazines, slide release, safety lever, hammer, sear, trigger, springs, grip screw bushings, etc.. Gee, almost an Ed Brown gun in parts... :)

I have yet to encounter anyone who has seen or handled an Ed Brown Custom gun. Certainly on this forum, almost all high dollar 1911 shooters are armed with a Wilson or Baer, with a few Rock Rivers bringling up the rear. It's a strange phenomenon, to be sure. Almost all 1911 tinkerers(myself included) have an intimate knowledge of the parts he sells, but never pony up for one of his guns. The quality of his parts and his reputation as a premier gunsmith lead me to believe that you couldn't possibly go wrong with one of his pistols if you fancy one. Brand loyalty aside, I think you'd have a difficult time finding any differences in performance characteristics between any of the above mentioned gunsmiths. That being said, brand loyalty counts for alot around here...

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Do the sum of the parts equal the sum of the gun? Is synergy at work here, or just the opposite? HUM. You would think someone would have one or two out there to comment on.

Well I guess I'm the only one on here that has handled a Brown gun or will talk about it. I handled several of his guns last year at the SHOT show when I was at his booth farting around. His guns are excellent. I would take one over a Wilson or Baer any day. Cosmetically they are better than either one and the fitting is excellent. The only problem with Brown from what I gather is that he only offers a few packages, about 4, to choose from, and he'll only use his parts. I like his thumb safety and a few other small parts but I don't really care for his beavertail or barrels.

Brian

vanfunk: Yeah, I'd say it's a weird phenomenom. I thought there would be quite a few, at least on this forum, that has one or handled them. Also with the brand loyalty thing, if you found one that works.....the only thing better is to have a few more like 'em.

Hey again Brian. From what you saw you said you'd pick them over a Baer or Wilson. That's speaks a lot for the Browns right there, especially coming from you and with your knowledge of the 1911's. But what about the beavertails and barrels don't you like? Is it a subjective thing or is there something you see that just doesn't sit right?

Ross T.

PS thanks for the responses guys. I was startin to think I smelled or something and no one wanted to talk or anything. :)

I, too, use and love Ed Brown parts, but I prefer the McCormick 'De-Activator' grip safety and Bar-Sto 1911 barrels.

I don't own a Brown barrel, but based on my experience with his other parts I don't believe I'd complain if the gun came with one.
My custom Caspian 1911 is mostly Brown parts (but not all!).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Back