Ed brown sear spring

Gunslick

Just ordered one but not going to replace until needed. I like a good 4 to 4.5 lbs trigger pull or 5lb is fine too..whatever stock springer is. So I'm curious, how much adjustment will be required to have a reliable self defense trigger pull? Will it be pretty closely tuned stock?

It depends on the gun. Trigger jobs are dependant on more than just springs .Polishing is important but don't do that unless you know exactly how [ NO dremel please.

I am not after a trigger job. I already installed the C&S duty trigger, made sure it functioned well but then I just put the stock Springfield parts back in so now I have a spare trigger set. I wanted to see how long the MIM will last so I put the stock sear and hammer/disco back in the Springer. I am just after a higher quality part if the Ed Brown even is. I would think it is. So just swapping sear springs I am wondering how much adjustment I would have to do if any at all. Some research I have found says none at all some say a little. I can adjust the sear spring. Its all about understanding which leaf does what and I do and I have a trigger pull gauge.

I don't know for sure about an Ed Brown sear spring but I doubt it is different from my Colt and Nowlin springs which took "adjustment" by bending.

The MIM lockwork in my SA is holding up well but the Brazilian sear spring was very rough and got replaced early on. Maybe the current US guns have better.

Some research I have found says none at all some say a little. I can adjust the sear spring. Its all about understanding which leaf does what and I do and I have a trigger pull gauge.

Seems like you have your answer already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're waiting for your existing spring to need replacing, it will probably be a very long wait.
My thirty year old spare is still quietly resting in the parts bin.

My Buddy used to shoot Springfield TRP model...and its the only 1911, that I have ever seen break a sear spring. He thinks it broke at around 100,000 rds....

I have a few 1911's...and the one with the highest round count ..is around 125,000 or more now....and I've never broken a sear spring.

I only use Wilson Combat springs in my guns ( not Ed Brown ) ...but I suspect both Wilson and Ed Brown springs are probably made by Wolff.../ but I would bet that Wolff makes or supplies springs to Springfield as well... so the spring you bought from Ed Brown is probably the same as the one that came in your gun ( and yes, you will have to tune it when you replace it - sometimes they are close right out of the package, sometimes they are not -- based on a few that I've had to replace for friends over the years )...a couple were rusted ( in used or abused guns ).

Last edited:
Gunslick, Ed Brown makes, or at least sells, good stuff. Thing is, you could probably take 10 ED Brown, Wilson, Colt or any other manufacturer's sear springs and each would give a slightly different result on your trigger pull gauge. BTW, I've been a 1911 owner, shooter, carrier, armorer, etc. for a very long time and have never broken a sear spring in use, or had one weaken to the extent that it required replacement. I like spare parts and have a number for the 1911. But those darn 1911s just won't cooperate by breaking parts so I can use some of my extra stuff;)

Back