Economical FAL Variations?

DougB

I've decided to go the FAL route. I was considering an HK91 or M1A, but decided I can get a "post ban" M1A later, and most seem to favor the FAL over the HK clones. I live in California, I need to get what I'm going to get within the next few weeks.

Anyway, I planned to order a Century rifle, built from mostly used parts on an Imbel receiver. This was going to cost me a little over $600. I figured that even if the rifle wasn't great, I'd at least have a good registered receiver on which to build a better one later.

But I called the distributor this week, and they are out of the Imbel versions. The ones they have now are built on Hesse receivers. I've read a lot of negative comments about Hesse receivers, so I'm now reluctant to go that route.

I also like the look of the 16" FALs. Entreprise has some that look and sound good, but the cost looks pretty high (although I don't know their dealer cost).

Hesse also has some nice looking 16" rifles, although I'm concerned about receiver quality (as well as overall quality).

And I read somewhere that the "new" Century rifles use new barrels (not surplus) which would probably be a plus. But that Hesse receiver still worries me.

Sorry to be rambling so long, but I'm pretty confused. I'd much rather buy a finished rifle than a kit and receiver, since I need to get it finished before SB23 kicks in. Any suggestions? Anyone seen the latest Century rifles, or know of a good source for the Imbel versions? I'll probably have to order "sight unseen," so this whole surplus parts - who knows what quality - makes me nervous. Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated. Doug

You may want to check out D.S. Arms www.dsarms.com. A rifle is out of your cost parameters but you could still pick up a receiver possibly. D.S.A. has some real sweet looking variants. They are some of the best commercial FALs on the market.

Back