• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Easy use of tabular information

RWK

Rich,

From time to time I attempt to use tables to concisely and clearly articulate information in TFL postings. For example, a few days ago I created (in Microsoft Word for Windows) a table of five types of 9mm and .40 S&W FMJ ammunition by weight (grains), muzzle velocity, muzzle energy, etc.

Unfortunately when I attempted to drop my text into the TFL's "message box" by cutting and pasting, the table became compressed, lost its format and, therefore, its effectiveness.

I suspect reprogramming to process exact "cuts and pastes" is too major a change to easily accept. However if I am wrong, it would be a great help to be able to "cut and paste" precise "character-by-character" text from major word processing programs (such as Microsoft Word for Windows) to TFL's "message box".

Thanks for looking into this and -- much more important -- for all you do. Merry Christmas.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited December 22, 1999).]

RWK - you might try the UBB code word CODE (in brackets). That is supposed to preserve formatted text. End your text block with /code (in brackets). I'm going to try it here with a small tabular list. If it works, each of 3 words per line will be more than 1 space apart:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>
1. One two three
2. Four five six
3. Seven eight nine
[/code]

addendum:
It worked, but as you can see, it adds the word "code" and uses a smaller font. But it will do what you want.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited December 22, 1999).]

Never ever take HTML generated by any MS product and try to drop it into a UBB site. It's a sure-fire disaster waiting to happen.

If you drop a table into the text box, be sure to get rid of all hard returns and excess spaces between all of the < and > tags, or you will wind up with a gawdawful mess....

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Spark,

Sorry to be so dense here, but do you mean we should avoid what Mal suggested?

I'm using MS Works (cheap, came with computer).

- Would tabs from Works work on TFL?
- Would tabs screw up TFL?

Aha! Bottom line! (Finally!!)

How can we safely format columns on TFL?

Tabs have no effect on the UBB. Linebreaks and hard returns do adversely affect the formatting.

Off to the left of the text box where you type your reply you will see a little legend that will say whether or not HTML is turned on. If HTML is turned on, you can use HTML tables to format your stuff.

If it's off, you can't.

If you don't 100% absolutely positively for sure know what you are doing with HTML, DO NOT USE TABLES to format things. You can easily screwup the whole thread if you do.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Back