Easy assembly, very low cost target frames

MLeake

As far as low cost, you can often get these free at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

As far as ease of assembly, it doesn't get much easier than hammering or prying off a slat, and leaning the frame against it.

(My best friend's business has a warehouse, so he has these things to spare)

Voila:

Side%20view%20of%20pallet%20frame.JPG

pallet%20frame.JPG

Yes, plain old pallets. Remove one slat, and lean the pallet back with the slat acting as a brace. Then staple targets on at will. (Adhesive backed targets don't stick to the pallet so well, but they stick just fine to the targets you staple to the pallet.)

Targets.JPG

Clockwise from top left: 100rds of .22LR from S&W Model 18, 50 from standing Weaver and 50 from kneeling, 10 yards; initial sight-in for BAR 7mmMag and new Nikon scope; 24rds Greek .30-06 from M1 Garand correct grade, seated, 75 yards; 50rds .22LR from S&W Model 18, fired single action Weaver at 20 yards.

Had a nice weekend. Shot some other stuff at the indoor range, too.

Don't steal the pallets, get permission first!

Before you take pallets from the back of Lowe's or any other store, be sure to get the store manager's permission first. Often there is a deposit on these pallets of up to $30 each, so just taking them is theft!

Of course, if you do acquire them legally, they seem to be acceptable target stands!

Who said anything about stealing?

I've had friends pick up pallets, and the managers were happy to be rid of them.

Same problem my buddy runs into: he receives inventory, and the inventory is on pallets. He often ends up throwing out those pallets he can't give away.

Ask the manager at your local Lowe's/Home Depot/ big box store if they would like to get rid of some pallets. Worst they can say is no.

I've made some target stands from PVC Pipe with plans I found on the internet. For my needs they work perfectly.

Biker

Yeah! That's a CHEP pallet and very costly for the business to replace when it comes up missing. (I forget the price of each pallet, but it adds up quick when they keep getting stolen) That would NOT be the store managers property to release even if he DID give permission

At least if you're going to post stolen property, make it a blank/no name pallet. :rolleyes:

It won't cost the manager anything...

... as he is one of the business owners / partners. It's a flooring business. Tile comes in on pallets, and gets moved to shelves. He indicated that he ends up with an excess of pallets, and that he owns those pallets. Unless you have some reason to believe they are rentals?

I've never had companies ask for the return of pallets they've left when I've had large items delivered to my house, either. Gun safes, sod, etc.

Now I've looked up the CHEP website. They say they pool both CHEP owned and business owned pallets, if the business owners wish to participate. I haven't found anything that indicates pallets must be returned.

So what is your reason for claiming theft?

Last edited:
CHEP pallets may not be the best idea...

... as there seems to be a class-action suit against CHEP http://chepclassaction.com/7.html, for, among other things...

The shocking revelation about this program is that CHEP knowingly allows rental customers to ship their rental pallets outside of their network to unwilling participants. So a key issue here is that CHEP 's lost pallets are not simply about the erroneous shipments of rental pallets outside of CHEP 's closed loop. It is a deliberate practice instituted by CHEP that they referred to as the AVP (Accelerated Volume Program.) CHEP bills their customers up-charges when they do this in a range from $3.5 to $8.00 to as high as $18.00 per pallets in addition to their normal transfer fees.

Pretty sure my buddy's business received the CHEP pallet through a different business than CHEP, and would qualify as an unwilling participant (especially since he doesn't want pallets left at his place). The tile suppliers haven't made arrangements to remove pallets in general, although my buddy has not wanted them left on his site.

Looks like CHEP anticipates this stuff, and bills its client retailers for lost pallets. My guess is those retailers figure the costs of labor and return shipping would be higher than the penalty for dumping them.

Anyway, there are other pallets out there that will work just fine, and many of us have them sitting around after deliveries of gun safes, sod, etc. Assuming they were not expected to be returned, you have raw materials right there. And there are warehouses out there that do not want excess pallets.... or moving boxes, for that matter. We've received moving boxes from companies in the past, too.

So, ask for things, don't take them (obviously). The business owners / warehouse managers should know if they own the pallets, or need to send them elsewhere.

I bought a stand that takes two pieces of 1" sticks, 5' long, the part that sticks in the ground, two 6" spikes, stamp it in, takes a IDPA cardboard target, stapled to it.

Use target tape to patch holes, after 100 rounds of 9mm will still be growing strong, quick squirt of black spray paint, gives you a precise spot to shoot at.

Lies flat in back of jeep, takes up no room at all. Sticks from Lowes. Staples for cable use, leaves a wee sticking out bit, pull the staples out at the end of Range day, nothing to stick in your hands.

Awaiting my new stand, made of Aluminum, no rust, very light, $25? not sure yet. Packet of 50 targets lasts for ever!

Biker thanks for the link. I was digging and couldn't find it. Funny thing is I made the exact same setup for a ladder ball game. Ha, should have clicked to do the same thing!

Beentown

Back