Easiest way to remove Glock mag baseplates?

Redhook

OK guys! I know there is a trick to these things, but I haven't figured it out yet. So, how do you remove the baseplates off of your Glock magazines?

I know about the little button, but those little nubs on the side rail are a pain in the "A". Any help would be appreciated!

-Red-

Squeeze the bottom of the magazine body in while sliding the basepad off. (while keeping the button depressed). Kind of a three hand thing.

glock baseplates

I've got to tell you, three hands is a minimum. I used to use a brass drift punch, a pair of pliers, a screwdriver, and a lot of elbow grease. This "pinch and slide" that Glock recommends is for the birds, in my opinion.

If you can depress the baseplate "button" with a drift punch you MIGHT be able to move the baseplate back a few millimeters, which will hold the button in the depressed position.

After that, I'd try the suggested "pinch and slide," but I think you've got to have the strength of Hercules to compress the polymer that much.

I used to jam the edge of a screwdriver on the baseplate and try to "help" it off. After that, gripping the sides with pliers and pulling rearward. After that, sweating and swearing. After that, temporarily giving up a having a snack.

I love my S&W 686...

LBC

It is fairly easy to remove the floorplates of standard capacity clips. It is ,HOWEVER, a different story with the restricted capacity clips. Total pain in the a** :( Can anyone offer advice that does not require more than 2 hands :)

Best way I can come up with so far.

If you are right handed,hold the mag in your left hand. Take a 1/8" steel punch (brass bends easier)and insert into the bottom of the mag and push in the base plate. Pull up until the tabs clear the mag lir,then the plate will come off. You really have to be firm,but they will come off. I also found that they loosen up abit after dissasmbly a few times.

Good Luck

Larger Channel Lock pliers will get the job done quickly. Pad the magazine with a towel and squeeze gently.

there are easier ways to do it that don't involve pliers or a vice that could scratch up your mags. just insert the glock tool into the hole in the bottom of the mag and push it down and forward pushing the spacer thingy (don't know correct name for it) out of the way. then push the glock tool forward and the baseplate will move forward a little bit. it's easy to pull it the rest of the way off from there.

Don't know if this will work on the 10 rounders, since I don't have any. However, on the hi-caps ,or standard caps if you prefer, simply push a punch through the base plate until it goes clunk. At this point the little tab on the retaining plate will no longer show through the disassembly hole in the base plate. Place one of the rear edges of the base plate on a non-slip surface and push hard. This should move the baseplate slightly, after which taking it the rest of the way off is no trouble. Remember to wear eye protection when doing this and be careful to avoid launching the mag spring.

I do what leapfrog does. The key is you have to push very hard so make sure you have the mag against a sturdy table.

Back