Early Jacket separation ?

Maverick36

Last time at the range I had, what the RSO called "early jacket separation" when a bunch of ragged pieces of copper casing hit my target like shrapnel .
The actual lead part of the bullet went up in the target holder.
I was shooting 9mm 115 gr FMJ Magtech factory ammo with my Walther PPQ.
I have about 4000 rounds through my PPQ with no problems.
Gun is cleaned after every range visit.

Just Ammo or something Gun related?

Attachments

• 2016-01-07 09-58-12.164.jpg
    2016-01-07 09-58-12.164.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 2016-01-07 09-58-27.864.jpg
    2016-01-07 09-58-27.864.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 45
Try some different ammo to see if this is still happening. Then you will have your answer.

What did the range safety officer say other than the results?

He is more on the ammo related side and was not too concerned. I have about 11.000 rounds through my VP9, most of them Magtech and never had any issues. PPQ is running real good with Magtech too. Maybe just a bad lot.

The actual lead part of the bullet went up in the target holder.
Not sure how to interpret that??
If the target holder is made of steel, was there any chance the bullet hit it and then came apart?

g.willikers -It is made of steel and painted black there was just a grey (lead) smudge on it, not even a real dent but we found about 8 spots on my 23x35 target where shrapnel, like the one in the pictures, left imprints. The one in the pictures was stuck in the cardboard backer.

I think it is more likely that the bullet hit something (the target frame, the ground, a rock) and the pieces stuck the target. I have never heard or seen a FMJ bullet like the 9mm shed its jacket in mid-air.

Very light, fast bullets with thin jackets may be another story. I used to load the old .45 grain Hornet bullet into a .22-250 with hot charge. Just about every one those would blow up from centrifugal force before reaching the target. It was fun to give a bunch of those to someone who liked to brag about his shooting skill. I would fire a few normal rounds, getting the usual MOA group, then hand some of the light bullet loads to the "champ" and watch as none of his bullets hit the target, proving that he just couldn't shoot worth a darn! ;)

Jim

Jim, I was shooting Indoors at 30 feet on a 23 x 35 multiple bulls eye target.
The bullet left the muzzle and it sounded like a double boom. RSO turned his head and we inspected the target and found the multiple shrapnel hits.It was the 5th shot in a series I fired at the bulls eye and it would have hit the target just like the 4 before.

That jacket fragment was part of a bullet that impacted something, or was impacted by something.

That didn't come apart on its own.

Separations result in pieces that are easily identifiable and near their original shape. That thing is twisted inside-out, which comes from impact.

Squib stuck near the muzzle?

Back