Early birthday

BerdanSS

Well I received an early birthday gift. A good friend of mine sadly lost his home, along with all his smokepolls in a fire about a month ago. Yesterday, He presented me with a brand new CVA Optima V2. He had gone to buy himself a replacement inline for this coming deer season, and they happened to have two identical rifles side by side. He bought both and dropped by to give me one as "A token of friendship for all the help in their rough time with the house". I was a little taken aback by such a kind gesture....and am excited to get it out to the range.

This is really the first "modern" muzzle loader I've ever seriously had. I did mess around with an old staghorn Mag a while back, That some of you may remember:o (barrel cut and re crowned @ 18", and copper head snake camo...again :o)

But that was a short ordeal and I basically gave it away to a guy for his 14 year old daughter to deer hunt with. The Other was a Austin Hallock 420 I had for a long piece but never hunted with. Just used loose powder and whatever bullets I could scrounge to make it go boom. That was right when I got into Muzzle loading, and quickly got hooked on sidelocks.

To anyone that has one of these, what kind of accuracy are you getting and with what bullet? I have a couple packs of TC shock waves my dad used to use in his TC Cougar. And I bought a pack of "White-hots" pellets on the recommendation from one of the LGS guys.

Nice birthday gift the fellow gave to his friend. {No doubt about that.}
CVA V2 is a nice rifle. As far as I know like any CVA product there best at shooting Powerbelt's. White Hots are OK. Otherwise Black Horn would be a little better choice for its powder. As for loads. Instruction booklet that came with the rifle first and foremost. There after. And I would think with a little research there should be some sort of online Data Site available.

Well I got to the range with the V2 Friday afternoon. Cold, rainy and VERY windy. Pretty happy with the results though. First load with the shockwaves and 75grs of 777 just to see if it was on paper @ 50yards. Hit 1/4" to the left of the targets center line, 4" below point of aim. 2nd shot same load, 1/4" to the right of center line 3 & 3/4" below point of aim. Dang near touching the 1st round. swabbed the bore real quick (dag'gon it are 209s/777 combo dirty)

3rd shot just for giggles with 100gr load of the White Hots with the same bullet.
1/4 inch to the right of center line, 1/4 inch below point of aim :) following shot, same results :D with absolutely no sight adjustment right out of the box.

50 yards is about the maximum range you can get a shot at where I hunt so this looks like a winning combination for this year. I will be doing a more in depth test some time later with other powders. Including BlackHorn 209 (once I get the BlackHorn 209 breechplug) and maybe some Alliant Black MZ.

Back