Early Belgique Browning .22L Rifle

ketch22

Inactive
I've been given a family "owned" Belgique Browning .22L pump action rifle. It is an early model serial #11389.

I understand this is a fairly common rifle with little significant value, but I am curious as to what the symbols stamped on the barrel mean and if they are significant.

Attachments

• browning01.JPG
    browning01.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 64
  • browning03.JPG
    browning03.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 52
  • browning04.JPG
    browning04.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 45
On barrel:
Chambered for 22 Long (not Long Rifle).
Smokeless powder proofed
Rifled barrel proof
Inspector's mark
Definitive proof

On receiver:
Smokeless powder proof
Inspector's mark
Breech proof

Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre= National war weapons factory, Herstal, Belgium
Browning Patent is self-explanatory.

Thanks for the information. It's a well used rifle and not terribly accurate anymore (groups about 40mm at 50M), but it works very well and it's a fun little rifle to shoot.

K22

IIRC, your rifle is referred to as an FN / Browning Trombone.

FN made some 150,000 of them from 1922 to 1974, which WAG would put yours as being made ca.1924-25.

In the condition seen in the pics, I would put it's value somewhere around $450USD, =/-.

If it were pristine, it would be worth almost twice as much.

The accuracy might be able to be restored with a careful (of muzzle damage), but thorough, barrel cleaning.
If that doesn't restore accuracy, I would take a hard/close look at the muzzle crown for cleaning rod wear or dings.

If it was shot with corrosive ammo, common in the 1920's, the bore might respond to a smoothing with JB Bore Paste.

You have a very nice family heirloom there.

Last edited:
Back