Ear Protection

stagpanther

After too many years of loud noises and inadequate ear protection--I suffer from bad constant tinnitus and even with the max dB protection ear muffs for shooting I've bought I return from each shooting session with what seems like just a bit more damage. Even when I wear plugs in my ears and then put shooting muffs over them--that doesn't seem to help much.

In frustration I grabbed a pair of Stihl chainsaw muffs that I used to use many years ago but abandoned because they made it hard to get a good cheek weld for sighting on many rifles. I've developed a theory (maybe 45amp will pop in and comment--he's my spiritual adviser on all matters of physics : ) ) that while dB rating is important--there is an actual concussive wave that goes with the report that can do damage by moving the airspace within the muff.

I cut out some 3/4" urethane exercise mat material and placed them within the ear muffs--thinking it might further enhance the protection of the Stihl's. With all my rifles of various loudness of reports that I've used this with so far--all I hear now is a faint "pop."

Electric ears, Peltor Tac 6's by 3M. About $60. works for a compensated AR just fine. Clips anything above 82db and boosts it under 42db. you can hear people talking around you while shooting.

Electric ears, Peltor Tac 6's by 3M. About $60. works for a compensated AR just fine. Clips anything above 82db and boosts it under 42db. you can hear people talking around you while shooting.

Stag, that's interesting. They work fine for me in 3 gun and I shoot a compensated AR, which are much louder than a standard barrel. Some of the guys actually wear the custom plus the Peltors.

Back