ear pro... howard leight vs peltor

houdinii1212

Inactive
looking into getting one of these two ear muffs the howard leight impact sport or the peltor tactical sports.

which ones are better overall for out door shooting as in better sound in the speakers and most durable. i know the howard leights are 22db and the peltors are 20db reduction but i cant find any info on how fast either of them respond to canceling a sound or at the limit in db's that either one blocks out.

h1212

I've got both a set of Peltor Tactical 7s and a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs. The Peltor's stopped working after a year's use (usually used for an hour or two each week). I never could get hold of their Customer Service people by phone or email. Now they are used solely as a set of non-electronic muffs. Needless to say when I bought my next set of electronic muffs it was not a Peltor.

The next brand I got were the Howard Leight's. I've used them for about a year with no problems. So far so good and no dealings with their CS department yet. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

I have both the Howard Leight Impact Pro and the Peltor Tac Pro earmuffs:

• Peltor has NRR 26, HL has NRR 30.
  • HL price is around 70, while the Peltor is around 180.
  • Peltor has better / more sophisticated electronic noise compensation. HL is adequate for most purposes.
  • HL has a single wheel on one earcup for both power and volume. Peltor has a power button and two buttons for volume (all on a single earcup)
  • HL uses AAA batteries, Peltor uses AA
  • Peltor has replacement earcup pads (and a gel version, which I use) and microphone wind guards. HL microphones are inside the cups exposed by cuts in the plastic.
  • Peltors will fold down to a small bundle; the HLs are not collapsible.

The Peltors are great, and the one time I needed customer support (wind gard posts broke, I didn't know at the time replacements were sold) they were very responsive and sent some parts out to me for free. They have a more robust feel than the HL set.

I purchased my HLs when I thought i had lost the Peltors, then a month or so later I found them again, so I've compared them side by side. If I were buying today or recommending a pair of electronic ear muffs, I'd go the Howard Leight Impact Pro's; their price / performance point is the best I've seen. I think the Peltor muff is better, but not $100 better.

hmmm never herd of the howard leight impact pros im looking into those there better than the sports NRR wise so can be decent for indore range also.

I recently got the Howard Leight Impact Pro 30 dB muffs.
They seem a good buy. Their response time is slower than Peltor or Pro Ears, the first shot of a rapid string is louder than the followup shots if the volume is turned up much.

I consider the usual Impact 22 dB to be dangerously weak for shooting. I would only use them over plugs.

Back