Ear and Eye

I could just go into my local gun shop and by whatever they have.

But, I'd rather see if I can get some definite reccommendations here. Thanks.

Here's what I use:

- Etymotics Research custom-molded 'Musician's Plugs' with the 15dB filters in.

- Peltor Tac-6s (these are fantastic - but not enough suppression by themselves, IMO. I bought them to team up with the plugs specifically)

- my everyday glasses (nothing special)

- Gabe

I like Peltor earmuffs. I like the Shotgunner best because they fold up nice and small to fit in your range bag. They also make an electronic set that fold up just like the Shotgunner. The electronic model is on my want list. For eye protection, I wear Clear or Black Ice Gargoyles depending on the weather and time of day. Cheaper eyegear can be found that will work just as well though.

Mine depends on what type of shooting I'm doing.

Outdoors a slimline Peltor Shotgunner is good. I also use these for rifles and shotguns because they are tapered.

I find that these don't offer enough when I'm on the indoor range I shoot at. I use the Peltor Ultimate 10 (the blue ones) which offer significant sound suppression. Still going to hear those magnums and big bores pretty well, but quiets everything else nicely. They are to bulky IMHO for long gun shooting.

When doing a class I have the Pro-Ears with the mikes so I can hear what people are saying.

For eyes I wear glasses and buy rather pricey plastic lenses and frames, so I don't buy eye protection.

Back