Each click on Model 66 adjustable rear sight = ? inches on target

elector

On a S&W Model 66, does anybody know about how far each click of the adjustable rear sight will move the point of impact on the target? The owner's manual gives the direction but not the distance. TIA.

Easiest and funnest solution...

is to experiment.

Shoot a carefull group at the furthest distance you can. Something even, though, like 10 or 20 yards.

Move sights 10 clicks to right. Shoot another very carefull group. Move sights another 10 clicks to right. Shoot again.

Then see if moving 20 clicks to left brings you back to zero.

Try this with elevation, too.

You will have possibly the only definitive answer in town.

C'mon guys, THINK!

The reason the manual doesn't tell you click values is that it all depends on the sight radius. Now sit there and think for a moment before reading further.

DOH! :o

If the sights are close together, like on a 2-1/2 inch, the relative angle per click of the rear sight will be greater than a 10" barrelled gun. That means that for every click of rear sight adjustment on the snub the point of impact will be moving more that a click on a long barrelled gun.

Doesn't everyone own 4" barreled guns?

That's what my answer was geared for...

Yeah... yeah... That's it.

Actually, I'm still pretty certain that my answer is correct for a 4" barreled Smith.

Well, as long as Mike's kinda fessing up here...

On my .45's you turn the windage screw clockwise to move the sights to the right. Likewise with my AR. My 586 isn't marked, and I can't remember the last time I adjusted my sights on it. I looked at my Python, though, and the arrow indicates that turning the windage screw clockwise moves the sights to the left. Was Colt just being funny with the Python by using a left-hand thread, or is there just no industry standard on such things?

If you want the mathmatical answer...

Dividing the amount of lateral (or vertical) movement of the rear (or front) sight by the sight radius will equal the quotient of the distance moved on target by the distance to the target.

To determine the amount of lateral or vertical movement per click, count the number of threads per inch of the control screw. One tenth of that count means a movement of .1 inches. From there, one must divide the turns into the number of threads....

(A regular micrometer is made with 40 lines per inch on the main screw. Four turns make .100 inch. One turn is .025 inch. Then, 1/25th turn makes .001 inch.)

Or, just run the rear sight 10 clicks and measure how far the sight moved.....

I still like the shoot and measure method.

Once determined, it will remain constant... two inches at 10 yards will be 4 inches at 20 yards and 20 inches at 100 yards.

Oh... the rule for Smith and Wesson adjustable rear sights is "Right is Down and Right". Or...turning clockwise moves elevation down, and windage right.
For those raised with digital clocks.... you're on your own.

Archie nailed it on his first post.

His method isn't bothered by brand of sights or length of sight radius.

Sam

"For those raised with digital clocks.... you're on your own."

Unfortunately, Archie, I was raised on wind-up clocks and dial telephones connected to party lines. Advanced age, you see, is my excuse for my misfiring synapses. ;)

Back