EAA, Springfield and TZ-75 9mms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

First off, allow me to say how much I enjoy reading everyone's posts on this website. I have gotten more "straight skinny" on different firearms here than in all the gun magazines combined that I have subscribed to over the years. Some of you guys need keepers, but knowing you are out there makes me a little more careful when I am out and about.
The reason for this post is that I have come up with another "need" for another gun. Recently I have been intrigued by the different clones of the CZ-75 by Springfield Armory, European American Armory and F.I.E.
in 9mm. I am very familiar with just about every other manufacturers' offerings in this caliber but my data base is mostly silent on these. I have noted several used specimens priced under $275. Opinions? Experiences? Ravings? I want as much accuracy as available amongst the other three usual critereon (I.E.: dependabilty, durablity and cost)I am also curious about interchangeability of parts between these three models. Thanks again and kudos to those responsible for this site.
Take care and God bless to all,
Paladin

Paladin,

I have two witness pistols. A 40 S&W and a 9mm. I've use the 40 in ipsc limited competition for about 3 years and have several thousand rounds through it without a single problem. I have a few hundred rounds through the 9mm and it too functions flawlessly. I was going to make the 9mm into a compensated 9x21 for ipsc open competition but have since changed my mind about race guns.

I have installed an ambi safety on the 40 as well as a single action trigger with relatively no fitting required. The part description for the safety and trigger said these parts fit all CZ-75's and clones, so I would expect part interchangeability is pretty good.

I bought both of my witness pistols new for $285 through my local dealer. I would consider selling my 9mm to replace it with a .45 acp witness. I have two hi-caps and several 10 round mags as well. Email me if you consider a 9mm witness.

I'm no help here as I haven't even shot one--I bring other questions to the fray.

I passed on buying a CZ clone in the mid-80s for two reasons: no passive firing pin safety, and the DA trigger pull started at what felt like 8 pounds before it would even budge--and snapping almost uncontrollably back (for me) to hammer release.

The CZ75B has a firing pin safety. Which other models do?

And have they fixed that lousy DA trigger pull?

Other than the DA trigger, they felt so good to hold I almost bought one anyway.

Paladin,

I own a springfield p9 ultra in 40s&w and have put in the 4000+ rounds through it in the past few years. I have had only a few failures to feed, all due to poor reloads. I have broken the slide stop, but I bought one from EAA and it fit perfectly. If I could buy another I would, sweet trigger, about 3 lbs single action and about 9 double action. Also I like carrying it cocked and locked!

I also own an EAA witness 10mm. It is a rougher finish then the P9, but very rare failures to feed, mostly due to one bag magazine, (bent lips). My next pistol is another 10mm when they bring out a long slide version of the witness in 10mm. My witness has about a 4 lbs trigger and about a 13 lbs double action. Very accurate for a stock pistol.

I am glad that I bought both, and would strongly recommend either. The only other pistol I can recommend like that is a Les Baer 45, these three guns are my pride and joys for pistols. Pretty amazing for a comparison of a $2200 les to a $285 witness.

Good luck.
pete

Have a TZ-75. The quality (fit and finish) is below average internally, at best average externally. (You can't run your finger down the frame over the slide rails without cutting it from all of the milling burrs.) The double action trigger is average-long but gritty. Small amount of stacking. Moderate amount of creep in single action.

Despite these shortcomings, the gun fits my hand very well, almost as good as my Hi Power (which I understand is where the CZ-75 grip profile is based on). Although it has a bit of play between the slide and frame, the slide and barrel are very tight. As a result, the accuracy is surprisingly at least equal to my SIGs. Functions very well too. One of, if not the, best bargain guns I had pruchased.

- Ron V.

------------------

Thank you to everyone who responded. I am scheduled to go down to Austin next week and plan to prowl around some gun stores there. The four that I am interested in are:
1. Tanfoglio TZ-75 Series 88
2. Czech CZ-75 (perhaps CZ-85?)
3. E.A.A Witness
4. Springfield Armory P9
Steve J, I would like to find out more about the Witness 9mm you might sell. If you would contact me at my e-mail address, I would appreciate it. There is no listing for your e-mail address.
Take care and God bless to all,
Paladin

Have two 9 frames, one 45 frame. These guns are made by Tanfoglio of Italy, and get sent across the world, being finish assembled at many points (Switz., USA, Israel, England).

The only new manufacture is the EAA Witness (Tanfoglio) and the CZ (which is wholly CZ). The CZ is finished finer (like S&W) while the EAA is strong and cheaper (like Ruger).

When fed good ammo my nines have NEVER puked, even in 9x21, 40S&W, and 41AE. My 45ACP has NEVER been reliable, but when I mount a 38Super LongSlide is is 100%.

I understand the 10mm is a beefier frame than the 45/38. I'll be getting one.

I've customized one of the 9's with a hard-fit Nowlin barrel, hardchrome (thank you Accurate Plating & Weaponry), sight work with rear Mec-Gar, EGW firing pin, Wolff springs, fancy wood, blah, blah, blah....
Love it, shoot it for IPSC, a true 100% gun (but it insists all ammo get chamber-checked first).

And it makes Major Nine all day long......

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Why buy a COPY when the better Originals are this cheap ?
CZ75 9mm $299.00 Have 2..Both blue polymer with 15 round mags..1 is import and other not.$299-$329
Phone: (530) 477-6622
Seller: Hoffmeyer's
Address: Box 368
Cedar Ridge, CA 95924
Electronic Mail: hoffmeyer@telis.org
FAX: (530) 273-6622
In business since 1962.All Federal & State Regulations apply. 5 day inspection. Buyer pays shipping. Mon-Fri 9-5 Sat 9-1 Specializing in Polish Radom Weapons/Accessories
Got this from http://www.gunsamerica.com - C Other Rifles/Pistols/Shotguns

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back