eaa .45 question

ammo first

I am currently having a problem with my 45.acp witness pistol. This gun is the full size steel model and it is ported. While firing the gun (it usually happens once or twice per mag) the slide locks back as if the mag is empty. AT this point a simple rearward pull on the slide sends the slide forward, chambers another round, and I resume firing. Can someone tell me what may be causing this? Also many people at tfl have suggested replacing the stock #14lb spring with an #18lb or #20LB spring is this a good idea? thanks for any input.

Ammo First, before replacing the spring, lock the slide back and take a look at the inside portion of the slide lock. The cause of this problem the majority of the time is that the bullet nose comes into contact with the slide lock and engages it. If this is the case you will see brass marks on the inside end of the lock. You can dress this down a little with a fine file until the bullet noses pass freely. George

When you fire the gun, where is your right thumb? I had a 1911 with an extended slide release that would lock open because of my thumb. I was exerting, unconsciously, upward pressure on the release. I put the old release back on.

Back