E.A. Brown Range Report

Gdawgs

I've had this E. Arthur Brown on loan from my dad for quite a while but haven't gotten around to trying it out. My dad picked up a pair of these a while back. One is chambered in 6.5mm Bench Rest Magnum, and the other is in 7mm Ultimate Silhouette. I finally loaded up several different loads to see what it likes best, and tried it out this morning.

Here's the gun.
DSCF0278_zpsteh5zuow.jpg

They are a falling block action with an amazing trigger, what you'd expect to find on a good target rifle. This one is the 6.5mm Bench Rest Magnum, which is based on a 30-30 cartridge. The barrel is 15" long. The scope is a Nikon Monarch 2.5x - 8x. They are very nice guns with excellent fit and finish. Apparently these were the cat's meow back in the days when silhouette shooting was popular. These were used in the high power category which had the rams at 500 meters. That's a loooooong shot for handgun. According to the EA Brown website, most of the records were obtained with these guns.

Recoil was surprisingly mild, considering it's shooting a mid powered rifle cartridge. I'd put is somewhere between a .357 mag and a 44 mag.

Here's the cartridge. The one on the left is a standard 30-30, the center is the 6.5BRM brass, and the one on the right is loaded with a 140 gr Nosler Ballistic tip.
20150926_121848_zps7n9zzwsk.jpg

So here's my best target. This was off a bench at 100yds. I used the bipod for support on the front, and a sandbag for the rear. I consider myself to be an average shooter, so in the hands of a really good shooter, I have a feeling this thing is capable of just about putting the bullets in the same hole. The three shot group measures .65".
20150926_121906%202_zpsmcrtyxzo.jpg

The two guns that my dad owns are the only ones I've ever seen. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking at doing some long range handgun target shooting, or large game hunting.

Back