DYI Shotgun Cone-job

I was wondering if buying a forcing cone reamer and lengthening the forcing cone on on of my NEF Pardner 12ga barrels would be a good idea, or if this is something best left to a professional smith. I would consider myself to be pretty handy, but I've not done and smithing before. Also where would be a good place to get a forcing cone reamer and how much do they run? And about how much would a gunsmith charge to do this same job? Sorry about all the questions, but I know I'd like to get a cone job done just have no idea how to go about getting it done. Thanks for your help.
-Matt-

You can get the reamer from Brownells, but I would think most Smiths have them and would do yours for less than the cost of the reamer. I don't remember what I paid to have one of my shotguns done ( which means it wasn't too much) ;)

Last cone I had done cost $50. My smith indicated he thought I was capable of doing same myself but he has an inflated opinion of my talents, I think.

A single shot with forcing cone and choke work, patterned and correctly stocked, is a great knockaround shotgun.

CLC, if you are planning to lengthen more than 1 or 2 cones then it will probably be worth it to buy your own reamer. I charge $45 in my shop for the work and as you can see from the previous answer that's about average. George

you would also have to buy a bore polisher and cutting oil to smooth the transition to the bore. Reamers run $60 to $100 polisher run $30 to $50 and the cutting oil who knows. Do a WWW search on forcing cones and you will find some e-smith's out there.

Back