Duty holsters and hardware for 1911.

kerry

I've got several questions here. First I need to find a duty holster for my Kimber Custom Stainless. I would like as safe a holster as possible. Does anyone make a thumb-brake holster that blocks the hammer on a 1911 from falling (while cocked and locked) while the thumb-break is engaged? Preferably with some sort of retention device. I would also be impressed if it did not allow the safety to be disengaged while the pistol was tight in the holster.
Also, who makes the best duty belts and accessories. I've looked at some stuff by Biancchi and Michael's of Oregon. I have to buy a complete set and I want to get something nice. Nylon or leather? What are the pros and cons?
Does anyone know of a site online that offers good deals on this kind of stuff?
Sorry for all of the neophyte questions, but I'm going to work for a very small department and I don't have a large pool of input.
Any advice on batons, handcuffs (chain or hinge), etc. I would really appreciate all the advice everyone has out there (LEO and non-LEO). Y'all haven't steared me wrong yet. Thanks.

Kerry,
Have you contacted Safariland? I am currently using one of the model 70 security III holsters and it is a very secure holster. It is also a fast holster if you practice with it. I am not sure if they make one for the 1911 style pistols though. I prefer leather gear, it looks better and keeps it's shape better. My department was using nylon a few years back and it didn't look as sharp or keep it's original shape very long. As for the baton, get an ASP. It will always be on your belt where you can get to it instead of in the car because you didn't want to carry the bulky one piece baton around. In regards to the hand cuffs, carry one of each- hinged and swivel. I prefer the S&W models but it's my preference. Some of the other officers carry Peerless and have no complaints. You also might want to consider carrying a Stinger flashlight on your belt also. These are great to have. You might have to enter a residence/business during the day and find that you need a light to search a room, etc. One on the belt sure beats the one that you left in the car. Get a pouch for rubber gloves and carry at least two pair with you. Don't be afraid to buy quality gear, it will cost more but it will last longer. Hope this helps and good luck!
Karl

Holsters and related: Safariland will be very hard to beat for quality. The Bianchi with PRD holster looks good though. Flashlight: Even if you get a big Maglight or Streamlight, pop for the 75 bucks or so eventually to get some type of Surefire Light and belt holster so you will have a handy and effective flashlight at all times, even on DAY shift (searching closets, under houses, etc.)The guy above suggested a Stinger, but compare it and the Surefire. I think that no one beats Surefire IMHO. Cuffs-hinged types have some advantages, try both and see which you like. Again, the guy above hit the nail on the head with that one of doing both if you can. With all accessories, be sure your agency PERMITS what you wish to use. Final note, this is like a lot of things, you get what you pay for and save money by investing in good gear. Buying a good one once is less expensive than buying trash 2-3 times. Most cops figure that out-after the third purchase of trash. When you get ready to buy, don't think about the cost, think about the cost average over several years. Don't forget body armor, the cops on this board could provide more opinions than you can pile up, run, and jump over. And yes, many of us are jealous of anyone who is permitted to carry a 1911 style duty weapon.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited January 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited January 14, 2000).]

Back