Dust in scopes

marine6680

Went to clean my Trijicon Accupower 1-4 lenses, and my MRO lenses.

After cleaning and using some canned air to ensure lint and dust were gone, I was looking over the cleaning job, and it looked like I had dust inside my optics.

Used a flashlight, and it looked worse.

Trijicon has a good rep, and I don't want to think I got twice unlucky.

I'm hoping it's just an illusion or glass/coating aberrations that make an illusion of dust.

Anyone have experience with something like this?

If there's dust inside, the scope is damaged. Scopes are air tight and usually filled with nitrogen. I'd be guessing it is an illusion.

When, where and how,much did you pay for your Trijicon? Just asking because I am wondering if it could be counterfeit.

Its real, or it should be, got it from a long standing online retailer site that sells firearms and accessories.

Seeing as my MRO also has what looks like dust inside, but only a slight ammount... And that was got from a respectable retailer as well... I doubt I got two fakes.

The quality on both is too high as well.

I don't notice anything when looking through the scope, only when I was using a light to examine the glass after cleaning it.

Last edited:
Assuming there is contamination present,because you can see it.....I would think a discussion with Trijicon Customer Service would be more valuable than anything I could provide.(Or anyone else here)
Assuming it has never been 3rd party tampered with,how many things can it be?
Factory assembly area problem,dust.

Factory inner coatings failing, or some component deteriorating.

Sometimes optics develop mold.

I'm thinking Trijicon would love to be made aware of a quality issue so they can correct it.
Good luck

Is it possible that the dust is on or in the flashlight, and what you're seeing is being reflected from the exterior surface of the scope lens?

Crap, now I gotta get mine out of the safe and check it. I'll be out of luck if my scope is defective, bought it used.

I wouldn't worry about it Marine. I just checked my accupower 1-4 and it appears like maybe there is dust inside, but I think it's an illusion. I've not noticed anything when I shoulder my weapon and look through it. I think it's dust on the outside of the lense that appears to be inside.

Back