durability of uberti vs ruger

sixgunnin

I have been looking for a tough ranch carry single action Colt SAA clone. I would prefer 4 clicks of a clone but I think I could go with a Vaquero if I have to. What is better?

Are uberti clones tough enough to handle years of carry? Or should I go with a Ruger new Vaquero?

I am thinking a 4 3/4 inch barrel length in .45 colt under $500. I reload and cast lead so ammo price is not an issue:)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Rugers are tougher but I've never had a problem with a Uberti. Of course I'm not as rough on them now as I used to be but in over 40 years of SA use I've only broken one hand spring and that was recently on a new gun.(Pietta) I personally cannot abide the action and lockwork of a Ruger. If you're worried about the springs in a Uberti Wolff makes springs that will take the worry out of them.

The Ubertis are tough. They might break a hand spring now and again, but that's about it in general. Hand springs are abundant and easy to fit once you get the hang of it. It is much closer to the original "Four-Click Colt's" than the Ruger piece, which is a modern designed gun in and old-style chassis if you will. Now the Ruger WILL, in general, be the more durable revolver by virtue of it's modern beefed up internals, but that absolutely DOES NOT mean the Uberti won't be a good trail companion for many a year out on the plains and trails.

The Uberti is a GREAT trail gun (unless you are in brown bear country)...I have a safe full of Ruger's...my "go to" woods gun is 44 Special Cimarron (Uberti). I shoot my Cimarron's a ton...other than replacing the flat springs with Wolf springs...they get no special treatment...but, I don't shoot shoot anything hotter than the Skeeter load in them.

I like my Ruger's...but I LOVE the UBerti's. You just can't make a Ruger handle or shoot as well as a SAA clone.

Bob Wright will soon be by to post numerous pictures of his vast collection of single action revolvers to make us all jealous... again! :D

There are times whe I hear five-clicks. Love it !!!

I like my Ruger's...but I LOVE the UBerti's. You just can't make a Ruger handle or shoot as well as a SAA clone.

WOW, quite a statement to make and it looks like you have already decided on which one to get. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Some number of the Italians have "Rugerized" hands, with a coil spring and plunger instead of the little leaf.

You can get piano wire bolt/trigger springs but I think I'd rather have the traditional leaf with the notch rounded and a spare on hand.

The hand springs on recent (2-3 years ago) Uberti Cattleman guns are a plunger style and is almost never gonna break as it is a coil spring pushing a plunger to position the hand rather than the old flat leaf springs of old.

The hand springs on recent (2-3 years ago) Uberti Cattleman guns are a plunger style and is almost never gonna break as it is a coil spring pushing a plunger to position the hand rather than the old flat leaf springs of old.

I'll stick with my 2000 model Uberti/Cimarron.

And do get a screwdriver ground to fit the screws. Loose screws are just a fact of nature with single actions and they have a lot of them. Ruger used to use Nylok screws and Colt had thin plastic washers but I don't know if they still do.

Thanks guys, I'll go with the uberti cattleman. My only concern is in the varnished wood grips. Will they look bad when they get scratched and dinged?

Quick! Before Bob gets here!!

I have an El Patron (Uberti) that I set up with all coils (except for the mainspring), just like the Ruger 3 screws. It works beautifully. With my version of the "coil and pushrod" handspring, a coil and plunger trigger return mounted in the trigger guard and a bolt powered by a torsion spring on the bolt screwpin (just like a Ruger). It's now a 4 click, S.A.A. copy with the life expectancy close to that of a Ruger !! Because of my handspring set up, it feels just like it's supposed to (a Colt with a flat handspring) and doesn't exhibit the throw-by (cyl. over rotation) that the Ruger has.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

I am looking for something more authentic than a old three screw Blackhawk

The New Vaquero is the same size and look as the Colt, and the clones. If authentic is important, then open your wallet and buy a Colt, nothing else is authentic!
Because, no matter who else makes it, if its not a real Colt, then its just a copy. It may be a faithful copy, it may be very well made, but its still a copy.

If you just want authentic looking, Ruger has a model for that, and to my eye, looks as good as the clones, or the original Colt. But, I'm not a purist in that regard.

You just can't make a Ruger handle or shoot as well as a SAA clone.

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it, but I disagree. Handling is a very subjective opinion, and maybe you can't make a Ruger handle to your satisfaction, but others can, and do.

Shoot as well? that's a combination of the gun & ammo's capabilities, AND the shooter's physical ability. Its entirely true that some individual guns aren't as accurate as others, but there is no way you will convince me that an SAA clone is more accurate than a Ruger, because its an SAA clone.

I'm kind of the "anti-traditionalist" when it comes to single actions. I love my Rugers and have been shooting them since 83. Most of my Blackhawks wear Pachmayr rubber grips. (oh, the horror!! :eek:)

If you're set on Colt SAA size, and looks, that's fine. Check out the Ruger New Vaquero. You get Colt size and looks, what you don't get is the Colt style action, or sound. And, you get to carry 6, safely, instead of 5.

Its just my opinion, and worth what you pay for it, but I don't think Rugers are "as good" as SAA clones, I think Rugers are BETTER!!!

Because, no matter who else makes it, if its not a real Colt, then its just a copy. It may be a faithful copy, it may be very well made, but its still a copy.

Modern Colt's are piss poor copies of the old ones with their transfer bars.

Back