Durability of Ruger P90

Claywms

Hello Everyone. I was looking to buy a Ruger P97 but handled a P90 in the process and ended up liking the longer slide and heavier feel of the older P90. I also liked the P90 because of the manual safety. My only concern is the durability of the alloy frame launching the 45 ACP. Who has a P90 that can comment on its durability? How many rounds do you have through yours? Thanks in advance.

claywms,

My uncle has the p90 and he loves it. I believe he has over 12k rounds through it and it has only jammed twice. Both times by yours truly when i was younger. It shoots just as good then as it does now. He's had that gun for years, don't know the exact amount of time, but it is old. It still functions flawlessly and still in use quite a bit. Hope this helps.

Aggiejrc

With the proper care given to it, your children's grandchildren will be shooting that weapon when they are old and grey.

Ruger's P-series firearms don't fit my hand very well, but I haven't met anyone yet who owns one who is ready to part with it.

I haven't fired much more than 1000 rounds through my P90 but not one jam or malfunction and I've fed it every kind of HP and cheapo ball I could find. No way I'll get rid of it, love it!

There appears to be a small percentage of alluminum alloy Ruger owners who reported MINOR chipping of the frame. The gun still shoots fine, and I recall that Ruger replaced the gun for free. There was a thread on this a while back in the Ruger Forum ( http://www.rugerforum.com ). I can't recall the exact thread but you can do a search and find it. To answer your question, I don't believe there is enough data to generalize an estimate round count for alluminum alloy guns. However, I think it is safe to be very general and say that as a whole, alluminum alloy frames will NOT hold up as long as steel or polymer frames. Having said that, most shooters will not shoot enough to wear out an alluminum alloy frame.

Like kimber man said, Will eat anything but throws brass everywhere ;)
I love mine as far as reliability, its hard to beat and pretty accurate.

I asked Ruger about durability of P series guns. Ruger said they have tested the alloy frames to 20,000 rounds with no measurable wear. The P90 was built to handle the much higher pressure 10mm round. The low pressure .45 should run indefinitely. I loved mine, but sold it due to the grip just not fitting me. I would like to get a P97 if and when they come out with a manual safety model.

Ed2000 is correct; the P90 was originally designed to launch the 10mm.

Durable beyond words is a fair description.

Wow! Lot's of great info. Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying TFL and appreciate all the feedback. I also have new confidence in the P90. I'm an "average" shooter. Maybe this gun will see 1,000 rounds a year, so at that pace I think it will last a good long while!

I guess I am one of the few exceptions that GRW referred to. I had a P94 (alloy 9mm) that only had about 1,000 rounds thru it. The tops of the front slide rails became chipped and dented. After some more shooting the right side rail began to mushroom, all from the the tilting of the barrel during its cycling. The rear of the barrel was hammering the frame. This caused a very loose lockupof the gun, you could wiggle the rear of the barrel up and down and side to side even though the slide was forward. Accuracy dramatically dropped. Got rid of it and bought a CZ. Not knocking Ruger, I still own and always will my KGP-141. Just starting to question the use of aluminum alloy as a frame material. My personal opinion is the use of polymer or steel. I would suggest either the P95 or the P97.

Houge Grips

Het for you guys complaining of the Handle on your Ruger P90 get a set of the Houge Grips made for it, they cost approx. $16 a set and give the gun a whole new pleasing feel.

I have a Ruger KP90DC and love the feel of it with the houge's on it :) :) :)

That is nice to know seeing as I have a P-89DC. This just renews my confidence in the gunmaker I have always felt good about. I think most all Ruger products are over built for safety. Jim Hall

Back