Dunkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinert

My wife and I went to see "Dunkirk" last evening. It's a powerfully sobering movie, indeed (IMO). Very well done. As a kid, I built model airplanes and the Supermarine Spitfire was certainly one of my very favorites to hang from the ceiling in my room. Along with the movie as a whole, the aerial combat scenes were first rate in the picture (again, IMO). I believe it's a "must-see" picture for most everyone.

Its certainly on my "gonna watch list". Saw an article from Canada about a 92 year old vet that was at Dunkirk. In an interview after the show he said it was extremely accurate, brought back the memories. That was enough of a review for me.

I'm wondering thought, to keep it gun related, what this movie will do to the prices of the British '03s in the Vintage Military Rifle Market. Bet it drives up the prices a bit.

From an "artistic" point of view it is well done. But this was a huge event during WW-2 and it deserved a better movie. Many of the older movies about WW-2 told a fairly accurate story of what actually happened. Patton, The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, The Great Escape etc.

This movie tells the story from a very narrow, fictional viewpoint of 3-4 individuals. A Spitfire pilot, a soldier, and an older gentleman and his sons as they cross the channel in a pleasure boat. This movie shows their perspectives during just a few hours time frame.

If someone came into the theatre knowing nothing about Dunkirk they would leave without knowing much. There was a 1958 version that tells the story much better.

Not saying, "don't see it." Go. But I left slightly disappointed, it could have been much better.

I haven't seen it yet. My understanding reflects what jmr40 stated...in order to understand the movie, you need to be already familiar with the story.

From the trailers they seem to be promulgating the small ships myth. By far most of the rescuing was done by RN destroyers.
Should have done all those interviews on front of a Mk I Spit at the RAF museum at Hendon Aerodrome too. At least they got the rifles right.
Haven't decided if it's worth the $10, $7 on Tuesday, for an hour and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back