Dumb question(?): Safety on when action closed?

Swissrose

Inactive
I have been practicing with my shotgun (Winchester 1300, Lady Defender, 18" barrel) fairly regularly for about 7 months; and store it for HD purposes action closed, tube loaded with 3 #3 buckshot shells, none in the chamber(cruiser ready). It occurred to me only lately that when the action is closed and I have pulled the trigger (to make sure I do not pull it accidentally at any time), I cannot push the safety button all the way to the right (on) ; it will go only halfway through and I can still cycle it and pull the trigger again. Only when I push the safety button before pulling the trigger does it go through fully, and does it properly put it "on safe". Is this how it should be? In other words, does the safety button not work in all positions? Also, I have noticed that due to the many times I cycled it, the slide arms' black matte coating has worn off in long thin stripes in some locations and the metal shows. Again, is this how it should be, considering that I fired maybe 1000+ rounds? Sorry if these are dumb questions- my next shotgun class is only in November. Any reply is appreciated! Thank you.
Swissrose

[This message has been edited by Swissrose (edited July 04, 2000).]

Safeties on most pumps, Swissrose, block the hammer,and can't function if the hammer is forward,as I understand it.

Cruiser ready involves a locked action, safety on, empty chamber, loaded mag. This makes it hard for kids and irresponsible adults to fire the weapon, but a trained person can make ready in a twinkling.

I'd skip the trigger pulling.It puts you one step closer to a ND.

As for the wear marks, it happens,and hurts nothing except esthetics.

Finally, you're been shooting shotguns 7 months and have run through 1000 rounds? Kudos!!!

More folks should copy you....

Dave- Thank you for your reply and the hint re: not pulling the trigger. Yes I did put about 1000 rounds through, but then, I can practice on my own land behind the house, so doing it is not much hassle, and I enjoy it, too... Thanks again
Swissrose.

You're very welcome. There's some old threads here with some training scenarios that you might want to try, or check out Justin's pics ofr some ideas.

Back