Dumb Muzzle Crown Question

Maddox

Inactive
If there is damage to the muzzle crown, is it easy to spot the damage simply by examining the crown? What would it look like?

I don't THINK I've damaged my barrels, but after years of cleaning from the muzzle end (albeit carefully) I have to wonder if maybe I've inflicted some damage.

I personally find it difficult to use a bore guide, so I simply use a "safety-clad" rod and caution.

Take a look at your crown with a magnifying glass under strong light. You should be able to see any discrepancy between the clean, crisp factory edge and any possible trouble spot. A 'ding' where the edge is folded over or peened outward ever so slightly is one of the more likely occurrences. If there is a slight dent or scratch on the muzzle that is set back from the edge of the crown, that's probably not a cause for concern.

On some older guns, the crown may have very light pitting around it, but as long as there is no damage to where the bore meets the crown, it should be fine.

[Edited by MrBlonde on 06-03-2001 at 02:40 PM]

If your gun shoots fine don't worry about it. If it doesn't then a damaged crown can be one of the possible problems.

Back