Dry Firing

Rjeezie

So I've heard some people give advise about dry firing to get use to the trigger, help on technique, etc....

But then I've also heard that dry firing your weapon isn't good for the gun.

So which is the better advice here?

Snap caps.

I don't think dry firing a modern gun every once in awhile is a major concern, but if you are going to do 100s of trigger pulls I would get a snap cap to practice.

Most better made guns state on manual they are safe for dry fire. If they're not I wouldn't bet my life with it. Agree on get a better made gun if yours says its unsafe to dry fire. And yes I do plenty of dry firing. I own a Glock.

Agree with the above posters that it won't hurt a modern gun as long as it's a centerfire. Don't dry fire rimfire guns such as a .22.

I was told its ok to dry fire guns with round cylindrical firing pins but not ok for any other type like rectangular pins such as rim fire caliber... 22lr.

Depends on the gun. Very few modern guns will be hurt, even safe with a lot of 22's today. I wouldn't do it with a SXS or OU shotgun because of their design. The only gun I own that the owners manual advises not to do it is a Kel-Tec P 3-AT. I have been dry firing every thing else I own or have ever owned for close to 50 years with no problems. I've never owned a snap cap.

I own a 40 year old Remington 700 that has probably been dry fired 100,000 times or more over the years. That is over $100,000 in ammo, you cannot afford to live fire a gun enough to become a really good shot. Every good shot I know dry fires at least 100 times for practice for each round of live fire. Dry fire away. If something breaks, it would have broken at exactly the same round count if you had only been live firing.

I am not really sure if it is bad/how bad? but I like to take care of my guns so I always use snap caps and don't worry about it.

When things strike nothing it is usually harder on them. If you strike the air with a hammer it will do more damage to your arm them striking wood. The wood absorbs the force without it the force stays in your arm.

XDS or a SP101... But this is also good to know on future guns as well... Want to start doing some draw practices at home from the waist, as well as just shooting technique in general

Not to pile on, but my view of snap caps is that, although some people say they should be used and others say they are not necessary, no one says they are harmful; therefore, I use them. A-Zooms are the best I have found by a considerable margin.

Back