Dry Firing SIG Sauer P Series

Tecolote

Is it safe to dry fire SIG Sauer models P226 and P228? Is it necessary to invest in snap caps? Thanks in advance.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I have the P229 fire away, it is built like a tank and very durable. If mine snaps you bet sig will repair or replace. I have snapped mine over 1000 time already and the trigger is pretty smooth and broken in well. already 600 rounds through it in 2 months. hope you enjoy your.

------------------
shut up and reload.

Tecolote,

I ran across this a bit ago in the forum, and it implies that you're safe:

"It is NOT advisable to dry-fire SIG 229 -239 pistols as the firing pin stop is a hard stainless that WILL cause the pin to break when dry firing."

I've got a P232, so I'm using 'em.

Happy Shooting,
Roon

Why does a 229 hammer not appear to drop all the way when the trigger is pulled...seems to either hit real quick and jump back a little or never completly fall(when dry firing) Sorry Im Sig ignorant :(

The hammer hits the firing pin then rebounds, and the hammer reset spring keeps it back away from the firing pin. This spring is visible from the rear of the pistol at the bottom of the hammer.

I called Sigarms a few months ago and asked them this exact question. The person I talked to said that dry firing is not a problem when you do it "to test for proper functioning". But their advice was that if you do a LOT of it, use snap caps.

This could, of course, be an over-cautious CYA response, but why risk it? I've heard of people making their own snap caps with a piece of eraser where the primer would be.

Back