Dry firing my 38 specials?

Lightsped

Is dry firing with empty shells in the cylinder a smart thing to do? I have two Taurus 38 snubbies (a Total Titanium model, and a Stainless model) with which I need to pratice my double action on. I just need to get used to the trigger pull on these babies. So anyways, will empty shells harm anything when dry firing my snubbies?

I would say no, but if you want to be extra safe, get some snap caps.

PreserveFreedom,
You would say no to...
"Is dry firing with empty shells in the cylinder a smart thing to do?"
or no to...
"will empty shells harm anything when dry firing my snubbies?"

No, it won't harm most modern firearms. An empty chamber won't harm most, but an empty casing is an extra level of protection. A snap cap is (supposedly) an even better level of protection.

I've tried snap caps, and have yet to find any that last very long. I finally made my own by filling empty casings--including the primer cup--with Goop. That was several years ago, and they're still good as new.

IMO using empty cases is dangerous. Not to the gun but because it is too easy to get confused & let Murphy slip in a loaded round or two.

If you use a gun, dry or live fire, it will wear out at some point in time. I have snap caps for one of my guns but seldom use them anymore. The only thing I use snap caps for anymore is to practice wounded shooter reloading skills and malf clearance skills.

One of the many reasons I chose Ruger revolvers (GP 100 and SP 101) is that the Ruger instruction manual encourages unlimited dry-firing, with no mention of snap caps. I want to dry-fire with no risk of damaging or wearing out the gun, and I want to see an *empty* cylinder before every session of dry-firing.

I got rid if the first revolver I purchased (a Taurus Tracker) because the instruction manual said something like "Dry firing is harmful to the this gun, even if ..."

Try these snapcaps. They work great in my S&W 610 revolver and are of superior quality to other types. I don't think that they'll ever wear out given their design. Also, they are very helpful for practicing reloads.

http://www.a-zoom.thomasregister.com/olc/a-zoom/

round.gif

Back