Dry firing a .22 lr

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would put spent brass in the chambers , the reason being that the firing pin would stike the edge of the chamber [since it is a rimfire] and deform the opening , not to mention dull the firing pin edge . Good luck , Mike...

I do the same thing Mike does. After each range session I keep a few spent 22 cases and use them for dry firing. If you don't want them to extract, grind out a small section of the rim on a grinding wheel and position the case in the chamber so the extractor hits the ground out section. I usually have to push the casings out with a cleaning rod.

Mal,

That is a wonderfully simple idea. I have been loading mags full of spent casing and wasting my time.

Thanks!

Dutch

Many quality firearms have there firing pins designed so that it can not hit the edge of the chamber and cause a dent or harm the pin. I have been dry firing S&W revolvers and my Model 41 for years with no damage to any of them.
There are some firearms that will hit the edge of the chamber.
Before dry firing yours, check it out or have a competent 'smith check it for you.
Or to be safe, use the empty brass as has been suggested above.

Neil Casper

So, how do I decock (for example, for storage) something like a Buckmark if dry-firing will cause a problem?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Skorzeny - what do you do? You don't sweat it at all. We're talking about dry firing hundreds or thousands of times practicing holding steady, etc. The occasional dry fire when putting a gun away after cleaning, for example, doesn't do much, if any, harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back