Dropping mags.

MDS

I have a question. I just started looking at IDPA. I did a search, but didn't find anything. If I use my Kimber. Will it hurt the steel mags, when dropped? Bend them or whatever. Just curious. Thanks, everyone.

Possible. Unlikely, but possible. Pachmayr makes some tape-on bumpers, or you can get Wilson (or similar) mags with the integral rubber baseplate.

I know it may seem trivial to some. But the wilsons I have were 30 bucks or so. Do the bumpers help?

I've never damaged any mag with a bumper on it (I use Wilsons in my 1911s). I'm sure it can be done, but so far so good for me personally. I have one mag (Sig 10-rounder) that likes to come apart when dropped, but it's never been damaged.

I don't participate in IDPA but I do try and run a few types of drills on a regular basis just to keep the skills up.

When doing fast reload drills, malfunction drills, or CQ drills I have three specific mags for my SIG 229 (NOT cheap mags either) that I use and abuse.

So far no issues after literally hundreds of drops, kicks, and so forth (though only on grass, dirt, etc...never on concrete)

I still keep my carry mags separate from my practice mags but am pretty confident that my practice mags are still in spec and ready to use despite the abuse.

I accidently dropped a fully loaded Sig mag (12 rounds 40 S&W) on a concrete pad during qualification. It hit on the front edge and bent it, had to bend it back. Still looks bent, but works well. I assume the same thing could happen to the forward "lip" of any mag. :eek:

They usually land on the base pad which gets scraped up, but no real damage to the magazine itself.
Doesn't do them any good to get stepped on, though.

I don't know of many guys shooting IDPA with the old steel baseplate mags (I'm assuming that's what your Kimber mags are), so maybe it's different, but I run Wilson 47D's with no problems. If the baseplate gets screwed up though, it's only a couple of bucks for a new one. Wilson might just send you a handful if you ask, they have a reputation for exceeding expectations when it comes to service like that.

I have shot PPC with steel base mags (time isn't a factor as much as IDPA, but having lotsa mags is really nice, and I have tons of the old steel Colt mags) without a problem, and those drop on a pretty hard surface.

I've been dropping mags, empty and partially full, on gravel, sand, concrete, etc., on a weekly basis, for ten years, and have not damaged a mag beyond some cosmetic scratches and dings. I have seen a plastic basepad break on concrete (once). They are tough. I did drop one where it got run over by a car, but the result can't be called a shortcoming of the mag.

Back