Drop tube question

stubbicatt

I understand the principles and benefits of a drop tube.

Years ago I had a Lyman powder measure with a really long aluminum, two piece, drop tube that affixed to the bottom of the powder measure. I used it without really questioning it very much.

These days I use a Harrell's measure, throw the charge into a pan, and pour the charge over about a 4 second period, from a position about 2" above the funnel. I learned this trick somewhere on the internet, I don't remember where now.

When I compare thrown charges straight into the case, or dumped charges from the pan into the funnel, the 4 second method results in a more compacted powder column in the case, which is what the drop tube is supposed to accomplish.

Today looking back, I wonder whether the dump of powder from the Lyman measure, even having traversed that drop tube, might not have compacted as much as it would have had it been sort of trickled over 4 seconds thru the drop tube?

Shooting black is too much fun, and learning is also a good thing.

What cartridge are you loading?

I know a lot of fellows use a drop tube on rifle cartridges due the the charge/amount/case volume.

I can only speak to 38/357 - those I just dip with a volume measure and pour through a loading funnel into the casing - much like what you describe that you do. The level is high enough so that the load is compressed when the bullet is seated. I don't load 45 Colt/Schofield - yet - but will be soon. Can't speak to what others do but would imagine that those and other pistol cartridges could easily be loaded by volume with the level high enough so that seating compresses the load - even if wads are used to take up volume.

Rifle cartridges - a whole different ball game due to case volume.

I know Lyman made a loader specifically designed for BP - usually with a brass powder cylinder - you see them on fleabay once in a while. I would think that it would be fairly easy to rig up one like that mounted high on a stand with a longer drop tube. I'm not that familiar with the Lyman 55 measure so I don't know how slowly you can release the powder drop.

If your cartridge requires a drop tube due to case volume, etc. - a drop tube set-up could be easily made making a tall wood frame, a powder funnel and a longer due attached to the funnel. I've heard that a section of shaft from an aluminum arrow, which is hollow, works well.

Curious to know what cartridge you are loading? Some use a "compression stem" to compress their loads before seating. I think Track of the Wolf carries them under their reloading section if I remember correctly. On a 38/357 it really isn't necessary due to the straight wall case and the lower volume. On a 38 special, I use a 38 Colt Long casing for a powder measure - gives the right amount of 3F Goex so that it compresses nicely when the lead bullet is seated without putting a "push" on the slug. With a moderate roll crimp, they stay in place just fine. When I first got stared loading them with BP, I pulled a seated slug and to remove the powder, you'd have to use a pick to et it out.

Keep us up to date - fun to hear what others are loading and how hey do it! :)

BBB, I'm loading 45-70 these days. I don't remember where I read it, and there are proponents of the drop tube who say it is bull puckey, however some fellas have run side by side comparisons on powder column depth using a drop tube and simply slowly pouring the charge from about 2 inches above a standard powder funnel and have found that the charge column height is the same.

I think what I like most about black powder is the ease in clean up. Well, that's not quite correct... I really like shooting it! LOL. So far, my combination of technique has yielded 15 consecutive rounds without wiping or blow tubing and the rifle hasn't fouled out yet. Fouling remains soft and easily removed. I like that too, as prior experience with 40-65 the fouling was always crusty and the barrel looked like sandpaper after even a couple of rounds.

I casted up a bunch of bullets yesterday which should keep me in clover for awhile I would think. Next I really need to buy some more powder.

I don't have patience for a drop tube. I just set the charged shells on the table near my case tumbler. It vibra-settles... ;)

Lyman black powder measure

I have the Lyman black powder measure. Someone mentioned it is the Lyman 55, and I think that's right. It works just like any other powder measure, so you would have to work at it to dispense slowly over 4 seconds. Not sure if you could really do it. It did come with the aluminum drop tube. I use it for loading .45 Colt. It fits on my RCBS progressive loader, but without the drop tube. I don't worry about it too much for .45. Colt.
That powder measure is what keeps me loading black powder for the colt. If I had to hand measure every charge I'm not sure I'd keep doing it.
I do use a home made drop tube for .45-70, and use a digital scale to weigh each charge.

Howdy

I use a drop tube when loading 45-70. A drop tube helps keep the powder charge extra consistent for accurate long range shooting. It also eats up more time. I generally only load up 40 or so rounds of 45-70 at a time.

However for most of my Black Powder loading, 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Russian, and 38-40, I do not use a drop tube. For close Cowboy Action Shooting, there is no need for the extra accuracy of using a drop tube. Plus, when loading 200 or so rounds at a sitting on a progressive press, there is no opportunity to use a drop tube, unless I were to take each shell off the machine to charge it. That would take a whole lot of time.

Back