Drop the Slide? Or Not?

Shake

Here's a question I've seen debated on other boards, but I haven't seen it talked about here recently.

I cringe when I see people in gun shops dropping the slides (from slide lock) on empty chambers. Doesn't matter what kind of gun it is. I know this won't hurt some firearms, but I do know there are others that could be damaged from repeatedly dropping the slide on empty.

So the question is, do you drop your slide on empty? If so, what kind of gun do you have? What is your justification for doing it or not doing it?

I, personally, can't stand it when I see people do that. When I buy guns I usually ask for one that has been unhandled, or I order them in. That way I know that every guy who has been in the gun shop looking at guns hasn't dropped the slide a hundred times and dry fired it just as much. My feeling is that even if it doesn't cause immediate damage, it is still wear on the gun. I allow the slide to lock back up slowly so it doesn't slam (on empty only, not when loading).

Am I a picky sucker or what? Anybody else out there as picky as I am?

Shake

It may not do any damage, but it sure doesn't do ANY GOOD.
I won't do it and don't want others to do it to mine.
Neil Casper

I have explicitly told gun range workers (who check the gun before allowing it to be fired) to NOT drop the slide on an empty chamber on my pistol. They end up doing it anyway!!! I find that so offensive (especially after telling them NOT to do it). Almost every gun range I've been to does not respect my wishes when I tell them in advance. :(

Quantum... you need to find another range! The range masters at the range I frequent do not drop slides. They are very cordial. In fact one of them even told me not to drop the slide on an empty chamber.

Incursion,

I agree, but ALL 3 indoor ranges within (50 mile) driving distance have young kids working who will not respect my wishes. I have complained to the owners (regarding the conduct of the employs), but it doesn't seem to do good.

Incursion: The dummy rounds will act the same as normal ammo. Feel free to practice your reloads, clearance drills, etc.

Quantam: I am sickened to hear of your problem with these punks at the range. Get some thick zip-ties at the hardware store. The next time that you go shoot, affix one through the barrel of each of your guns, like they do for safety at the gun show. The twits will see that the gun is safe, and it will discourage them from the hormonal thrill of slide dropping at your expense. The plastic also cushions the blow of the breechface to the chamber hood. Don't forget the set of di-cuts in your range bag to clip them off.:)

Quantum,

I would, in your case, ask the idiot if he is planning on paying for a repeat of the trigger job on your gun (even if it hasn't had one yet). Get it though his head that he is DAMAGING the gun and HE is responsible for said damage. If it might hit his wallet maybe it will sink in.

Thanks for the good advice guys. I might just go with one of those tie-ons to prevent these idiots slamming the slide home on an empty chamber. BTW, none of my guns have had trigger work at this point--so at least that won't be affected...

I was once told by a Glock armor to simply drop the slide on Glocks, empty or not. However, I don't do this with any other handgun I handle.

The only guns I've ever heard where this was supposed to be a problem are the 1911s. But I've got friends who do it routinely with no problem. (So far...)

The little booklet that comes with every Kimber explicitly states that you shouldn't drop the slide on an empty chamber. It says it will cause loosening of the slide-to-frame fit and premature wear.

The Glock-using firearm instructor I took my training from warned everyone not to do it. I would think that even if I could do it safely on a Glock, it would not be a good habit to get into.

The amazing part of this discussion, is that the decision should be a "no-brainer"! While it "may" be true that dropping the slide on some guns won't damage them, why would you want to count on that? I know for sure that easing my slide down onto an empty chamber won't hurt it, so this should be an easy choice!

I'm having trouble coming up with a reason that dropping the slide on an empty chamber would cause any more wear than a normal firing cycle. If the Kimber manual has that in there, there must be some reason. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

- gabe

Reminds me of a gunshop encounter...

I was purchasing a Sig 228 at a large gunshop in Atlanta. After examining the pistol carefully, I told the salesman that I would take it. When I handed the pistol back to him, the slide was locked back. He pressed the slide release on what was essentially now my property and CHINKK!!, the slide slammed forward. Ahhh, Jesus. "Excuse me", said I, smiling through clenched teeth, "Could you see if you have another 228 in the back? Preferably one that hasn't been handled?". "Why's that, sir?" asks the marginally befuddled salesman. "Because I don't want a pistol that's had the slide dropped like that.", I explained. "It's not good for the gun."
"Well, what do you think happens when you shoot the gun?" he asks smarmily. "What do I think happens?? Well, I'm almost positive that the forward motion of the slide is dampened by the round feeding into the chamber."
Y'know, I'd give a substantial amount of money to have a picture of the guy's face at that moment. You could just see the little lightbulb struggling to come to life.

A moment of partial clarity. How zen!

Never drop the slide

I learned this 20 years ago. Its lazy and rude for anyone to drop a slide into battery on someone elses unloaded firearm. Its just stupid to do it to your own firearm. I too have had gun-shop employees drop slides and they are really dense and give-a-sh!t when you complain. Most don't care 'cause they're either moonlighting cops who don't buy or maintain their own, or kids who don't own anything and could care less -- its just what the boss says to do.

I was at a shop and noticed the shop owner "not" drop the slide. He released the slide-stop and manually closed the slide. I noticed the care and mentioned it to him and then he went into a story about having seen match guns peened from having the slide dropped repeatedly during dry-fire drills.

I recently purchased a USP 45 at a gun store. When I asked to handle the gun the salesperson naturally cleared the weapon and handed it to me with slide open. I rode the slide and checked the fit and function and said "let's start the paperwork." Now keep in mind that this particular model on display is constantly handled and I know for a fact that there are several nib usp pistols in the backroom, but the salesperson has the nerve to ask me..."Do you want this one, or a new one from the warehouse?" Duh you idiot, I say to myself, give me a new one. Now I'm not anal complusive about my firearms, but when I put down more that much money I deserve an unhandled pistol. And yes, I always ride the slide on my guns and shop guns.

I look at it the same as popping the clutch on your car. Sure, it's fun. No, it might not hurt the car, but hey, it very likely isn't good for it, so why do it?

When the gun is functioning the cartridge DOES act as a damper.

There's another good reason not to thumb the slidelock off.

I've seen some guns that have had rounded slide stop notched, or rounded slide stops, that have come from constantly being thumbed off. The slide is being pushed forward with considerable pressure, so it's natural that the sharp corners will wear if you do this.

Back