Drop In Barrels?

jaughtman

In my LGS today, my favorite arm-twister who sold me a 12 gauge Superposed a couple years ago saw me eyeing a cased set of a Citori with 12 and 20 gauge barrels - for about $2600. He said "you know, we can have your Superposed fitted for a set of 20 gauge tubes that just drop in and you would have a gun for everything". Says it would be about $500-$600, and Briley does it for them. Anyone ever use sub-tubes (is that even the phase?) in a 12 gauge O/U?

J

Skeet

Sub gauge tubes are not all uncommon. Just have a look on Gunbroker or most any auction site.
Skeet is shot in all the common gauges, sets for skeet shooting are available new and used.
It's actually gone as far as a carrier barrel with inserts for all the gauges. This design keeps the weights and swing dynamics identical through the different gauges.
Makes a nice setup for the dedicated skeeter.

Not so much for a field gun tho, the extra weight is an advantage for targets....not fun lugging over hill and dale. Thus two set's of barrels.

Exactly, tubes will add about 1 pound to the gun's weight. If you only use the 20 tubes for stationary shooting like targets, doves in a field, etc - it could work. If you're wanting to tote it all day, you'll regret it

Tube sets are common ....on skeet fields ...where you have a 12 GA tubed for 20ga, 28ga and .410..../ but that means you have a heavier gun in a 20ga - than in the 12ga.

Depends on what you want.....

Personally, I prefer stand alone guns in each gague.....unless you want to spend the money for a " carrier barrel"..../ carrier barrel is bored out to accept the tubes - and it's only shot with tubes in it. You shoot the 12ga barrel as a stand alone gun / then carrier barrel & 20ga tube set as a 20ga - fit to the 12ga receiver. Weight is then identical in all 4 gagues.

Browning makes some models in 2oga, 28ga and .410....typically made on the 20ga receiver...so, in theory, the 20ga, 28ga and .410 are all the same weight --- and I was able to buy one of each gague in citori xs skeet model, with parallel combs in 30" barrels ( each weighs about 7 1/2 lbs.....so I put 8oz under forend and 8oz in stock ...so they swing like my 12 GA xs skeet with 30" barrels...../ add about 10 choke tunes for each ga and I have a nice set of guns....

Had I been a serious competitive skeet shooter from the start....I would have gone with carrier barrel & tube sets early on.

I was a bird hunter....then sporting clays ...then skeet ..../ I added a stand alone 20ga pretty early ....could still have gone to carrier barrel, etc. ...but kind of liked having all 4 stand alone guns..... train grandkids, more guns ( mostly just having more guns)...

In my opinion, tubing one gun ....weight difference will drive you nuts....
Carrier barrel is a great idea....great for competition.... ( all 4 gagues are the same )...
Having a few more guns...is always fun....

Or buy a 20ga...in a semi auto...

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim P^^^^^

Great info! The reason I am not considering a 20 gauge auto (other than the fact I already have one - an A5), is that a quail hunt I do once a year requires "guns capable of no more than 2 shots, and 20 gauge or less". I already have that fantastic 1956 vintage Superposed 12 gauge that my wife paid to restore for me, which is my main bird gun, and was thinking I could adapt it to it. I really just love shooting the thing - makes me look classy and all. LOL. Anyway, I thought it would be a compromise over picking up another OU or SXS in 20 - but sounds like the extra weight and handling characteristics would be a bear.

J

Thanks and an update.

Well, hit the quarterly gun show today and there was a 1946 vintage Winchester model 24 choked Modified and Improved - $599. So I took it, now just need to do a little cosmetic touching up on the bluing.....pics soon.

J

A 28ga ...makes a nice Quail gun as well...

( just trying to help you spend your money ...) ...

Like I said, maybe not the best option ...but my set of 4 guns ( all XS Skeet models, with 30" barrels ) .... 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410...

WOW! Quite a bit of retirement funds tied up in those, I would imagine. That set will not be complete until there is a 16 in the middle.....

J

Thanks, I enjoy that set of guns a lot. They've been a good investment for me.

Nope, no 16ga needed here ( I have an old bolt action western field ) that I've had for over 50 years. ..but I never shoot it anymore....in 16ga...but it's the only 16ga I have.

Back in the day...before changeable screw in chokes...and before we had so many choices on shells.....12ga was for loads over 1oz ( 16ga was a 1oz shell) ...20ga was a 7/8oz shell, etc......and these days we can make a 12ga like a 16ga ...or upload a 20ga to 1oz....

----------- but I'm probably lying....if Browning ever made the XS Skeet model in a 16ga with 30" barrels, i'd buy one....;) But sadly Browning removed the Citori XS Skeet from their catalog in 2015..../ they're really marketing the new 725 series now....nice guns, but not better than the XS skeet, in my opinion...

Congratulations on finding the Winchester. . !

Last edited:
Right now Browning is making the new Citori 725 Skeet, with adj comb, only in a 12ga ( in 28" and 30" barrels)....but when they come out with a 20ga.../ ...its possible some of the big dealers will order some made in the 28ga and .410...( but since there is no competition shooting for the 16ga, it'll get left out )...

Back