Drop in 1911 Grip Safeties

Dan

Are there any "drop in" beavertail grip safeties on the market for a Springfield Armory Mil Spec Champion?

I found that Wilson has drop in beavertail safeties for Colt 1911s, but I found none for S.A.

Are there any online how tos for changing the grip and thumb safeties?

Thanks!

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>

I've never seen a "drop-in" grip safety that has anything close to the fit of a gunsmith job. I think to get a nice looking job, you'll have to do some filing and fitting.

Dan, you might check Brownells at www.brownells.com. Wilson, Brown heck everybody and their brother make "drop-in" grip safeties but as John mentioned you will probably have to do some fitting not only to make it look better but to make it function properly. Drop-in parts are rarely drop-in. George

King's has the largest selection of "drop in" grip safeties for different 1911s. The Springfield frame tail is not the same as Colt. It is more like the original (pre 1927) 1911s, not the A1. Brownell's carries them or you can order direct from King. Brownell's stock #s 487-204-001 for blue or 487-204-002 for stainless. King's model # is 204. Specify stainless or blue. Of course a fitted beavertail will look best.
S & A makes one for Springfields that fits better than any other fitted safety. It uses a .220" radius. They sell an inexpensive jig to use in fitting. For the additional cost of the jig ($16.50), you could have a beautifully fitted safety.
Be aware that ALL safeties have to be fitted, even the drop in models. The leg that engages the trigger bow must be fitted on all safeties.
Hope this helps.

Back