driving with guns

bignz

Next week I'm driving from Texas, through Arkansas, through Tennessee, and into Virginia to be with family. On xmas eve day my family is planning a quail and pheasant hunting trip and later in the day we want to target shoot. As such I want to take a Shotgun and a pistol with me. I plan to have them unloaded in the trunk with the ammo locked in the glove box.

Am I breaking any laws?

Thanks.

I wouldn't think so but there are a few websites you can look for that show state by state laws on pass threw. I wouldn't think and cops would bust you for a holiday trip with a few packed guns. if you had them under your seat and told thim the same story thats a differnt story

guns

If there are any doubts & you are worried about it, go to each states attorney generals webpage & e-mail them or call them for peace of mind. handgunlawus.com is another good resource.

Since it appears as if you merely want to transport the guns in the easiest way possibe, I would suggest that you follow FOPA, The Firearms Owners Protection Act. With the ammo in the glovebox, you would NOT be in compliance. In order to comply with FOPA, the ammo would go in the trunk with the unloaded guns.

18 USC 926a:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

It is not required that you comply with FOPA above, but it is an option that a person can follow to make them legal in all states that they are traveling through.

NavyLT and everyone else - Thanks very much. I will simply comply with FOPA and print out that section to keep with the firearms in case I need to explain myself.

Back