• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Driveby ***???

TheTomcat

What does driveby mean?? I posted "Check it out. [link] " in this forum and it was closed bacuse it is a driveby. Does that mean that members arent allowed to post other sites on here? Not a good way to treat a new member. Let me know.

A drive by would be a newb to a site dropping a link to another site and skedaddling.

For instance, If I was new here and I started a thread like, check this argument out, and posted a link to another site to a thread that had no relevance to the site posted, that is what is considered a drive by.

A drive by would be a newb to a site dropping a link to another site and skedaddling.

This is true, but no one is allowed drive-bys here, not even the "established" folks. I've had a few of my posts get me into trouble from time to time :D

If you have a website to share, you are more than welcome to share it, but you have to post more than just "Check it out: www.gunsarecool.org!" You have to actually have something productive to share about the site: why it's good, why you like it, what it has to offer, etc. Just make sure that it relates to the section of the forum that you are posting in.

You can repost your link using the above advice, and I think it'd pass muster.

I thought of a drive by as a person that ask's a question and never responses back.

Ask and run, not even to check back. Or for that matter not even a "thank you".

A drive-by post is one where the original poster ...
a) Posts a link with no relevant commentary of his own, or..
b) Simply cuts & pastes from another source without commenting.

Such as:
Example1 said:

Such a post as the above invites users to a link offsite with unknown content. It could be an Ad for a non-firearms releated business or some funny video. Or a site that gives your PC a virus/trojan etc.

If you cut & paste some or all of an article, you should provide a link to the original. You should also add your comments or opinion and attempt to direct the conversation towards a specific gun-related topic.

Elvishead said:
I thought of a drive by as a person that ask's a question and never responses back.

That kind of behavior is called, "trolling."

Done more than a couple of times, and a mod will probably take some kind of action... From a personal warning up to a ban. Depends upon how "trollish" the posts are.

Well, whatever. I really dont have time to get all the PC info on a site. I thought it was interesting and didn't think it would interfere with this forum. Anyway, there it is.

TheTomcat said:
Well, whatever. I really dont have time to get all the PC info on a site. <snip>
...And many of us have neither the time nor the motivation to look at random links just because someone says "Check this out!"

Quite apart from the security issues BillCA points out, don't you think it might just be good manners to give folks some idea of why you think it would be worth "checking out" and then discussing the content of a site you link to? :)

The discussion is sort of the point around here, after all, and drive-by links to videos and such usually lead to a bunch of comments on the order of "LOL," "ROTFL," or "What an idiot!" -- so it all ends up being a waste of bandwidth, IMO.

Last edited:
Well, whatever. I really dont have time to get all the PC info on a site. I thought it was interesting and didn't think it would interfere with this forum. Anyway, there it is.

Tomcat, I don't think there's any reason to be bothered or upset. It's just one of those things that you learn as you go. I got my warnings/thread closures too. Now I know how this forum runs, and it's all good.

If you take a step back and look at the big picture, you will find that a well-moderated/regulated forum (such as TFL) is FAR more useful (not to mention bearable) than the opposite. Honestly, I cannot stand most gun forums as they seem filled with 12-year-olds. This is why I stay here.

Anyhoo, it's not a big deal.

Well, whatever. I really dont have time to get all the PC info on a site
It's not a matter of getting "all the PC info from a site", it's a matter of not doing anything other than a cut&paste&post.

If a link is worth posting then it follows that it's worth discussing. The OP should provide enough of a "kick start" to get the discussion started in a particular direction instead of just pasting a link and hitting "Submit Reply".

Otherwise the OP is doing a driveby. Posting something when apparently not even he feels it's worthwhile to type a few words about it.

Elvishead

I guess I call those a "Hit and run post".

Back