drilling

rkc

I have a drilling double barrel 16 gauge over 9.3 x 72, hammers, underlever very nice, not like new--

marked Krupp Stahl on each barrel (not damascus) and Hirschberg on left barrel, A Haelbit on the other barrel

I am taking it to the gun show for a friend and dont wish to give it away- any ideas-- can't find a drilling website etc I figured with the wealth of intelligence on the Firing Line someone would have this information packed away!!!

has folding leaf (1) sight, etc, this is a nice well balanced old gun have a few Norma rounds.

any information thanks!!!1 I know so little about these guns--

Try this website:

http://www.gunshop.com/

Krupp Stahl = Krupp Steel, Krupp has a long history of arms making, probably produced the steel the barrels were struck from. Hirschberg may be where the gun was built and A Haelbit might be the builder.

Many Drillings were built by "Guilds". Independent master craftsmen who specialized in a specific gun making art IE barrel making, stockmaking, fitting actions etc. "Guild Guns" were often put together by a series of craftsmen for a "Builder" who then sold the guns to gun dealers or importers.

well...

I'd give you a couple hundred bucks for it :eek:

Seriously, though, I've always been fascinated by these guns, most i've seen were works art. I don't know very much about them, other than the ones I've seen for sale went for BIG bucks, in decent condition(which is why I don't own one). I'd find someone truly knowledgable and have it appraised, just to be sure of its value. Or, of course, someone here can give you a good idea of its value.

Drilling web page

You said you are looking for a drilling website. You might try going to the drilling hotline (drillinghotline.com). They are a retailer but they have a lot of information and several good links. I would send them an email and see if they can help with some information.

Last edited:
There are two towns named Hirschberg in Germany (the name literally means "deer mountain"), so your gun could have been made in either. I can find nothing on the maker, A. Haelbit.

Jim

re-drilling

Dear Shooter:
If I was you I sure wouldn't trade that off. (9.3MM is .366 )and the 74R is a gun which was used in Africa for the "big-five."
I'd seek professional advice from a drilling dealer, and I would not trade it.
Harry B.

Uh, Harry, he said it was a 9.3x72 which is an entirely different, older, and much less powerful cartridge. About like .38-55 ballistics and OK for deer at iron sight ranges but certainly not a safari gun.
The shot barrels are probably chambered 65mm (2 9/16") and may run high pressures with modern 2 3/4" shells.
Cute but not good for much. I don't follow prices closely but they seem to go begging in the mid-teens at gun shows around here.

Back