Drilling out Lands & Grooves to soften the BANG

Tracker

Inactive
I heard of someone drilling out the lands and grooves about halfway from the muzzle end of his .22 rifle to lessen the report. He said it retained accuracy and greatly reduced the sound.

I'm intrigued and am considering doing that in my Springfield .22/.410 single shot survival rifle.

Questions:

1. Does it work?
2. Is it legal?

Huh?
No - I dont think the guy did anything other than ruin a barrel. Reduced the sound? Doubt that. Doubt he retained any accuracy as well... unless he cant shoot and thus cant tell the difference.

1. I don't know if it will work, but I think I'd find the fella again and let him prove it. At first glance, it doesn't seem there would be enough of an "expansion chamber" to slow the exit of gases from the muzzle below sonic velocities.

2. In today's world, what is written is not necessarily what BATF enforces. (Pardon my cynicism.) If I WERE going to do something like this, I would say nothing, before or after. It is possible BATF could say you have, somehow, INSTALLED a silencer.

3. If you want "quieter", shoot CB caps.

:), Art

ON a .22 most of the report is from the bullet going supersonic. That is the reason that standard velocity .22 long rifle rounds are much quieter than High Velocity rounds. The standard velocity rounds are subsonic. By drilling holes in the barrel you are losing some of the gases that propel the bullet. If you are shooting long rifle loads this gas loss may be just enough to cause the projectile to exit the muzzle just under supersonic speed and therefore causing less noise. The same objective can be achieved in my opinion by shooting standard velocity .22LR or .22 Shorts or as Mr. Art Eatman said "shoot CB caps".

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited March 23, 2000).]

agulia ammo has new air powered 22lr that have no report whatsoever in a rifle.try them .there cat killing son of a guns.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunmart:
agulia ammo has new air powered 22lr that have no report whatsoever in a rifle.try them .there cat killing son of a guns.[/quote]

That is an air rifle right? I am sure its not ammo for a regular .22LR? :confused:

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited March 23, 2000).]

Southla1, no...it is rimfire. Go to aguila's website -- the info for it is under their "New" section.

Hueco

The guys are right, for quietness -- just get a subsonic load. For REALLY quiet, get CB's. For super-hush quiet, get colibris!
www.aguilaammo.com

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited March 23, 2000).]

The ammo he's talking about it a 22lr round loaded with no powder. It's fully primer-powered. There is a VERY mild report, but nothing louder than most pellet guns. The maker says it's good for "indoor shooting" when you don't want to wake the neighbors... The only trouble is that this stuff travels slower than most quality pellet rifles, so it wouldn't be good out to any kind of distance. As for drilling holes in the barrel, DONT DO IT. You'll ruin an otherwise good firearm and will NOT gain much if anything in the way of taming the roar. You will, however, loose accuracy. A good compromise would be Aguilas SSS load. It's a 60 grain 22lr round that is actually fairly accurate and very quite.
-John

"The ammo he's talking about it a 22lr round loaded with no powder. It's fully primer-powered."

That is just like the old "BB" caps used to be. Nothing but a .22 round ball propelled by a primer. They worked well too...would take a full grown fox squirrel up to about 50 yards in town :D

------------------
Carlyle

Sounds Like an "Handgun Control Inc" or ATF spread scuttlebutt to me!!! ;)

Buddy, don't ruin a nice gun!

peace
:cool: IZZY

I think the guy drilled out his head instead of the rifle.
But, if you do this, fire the the rifle first with a hundred 5 shot groups off a bench rest at 50 yards with match quality ammo like RWS R50. Measure and record the group sizes. Repeat the experiment after drilling out the barrel and report the results back to us.
At least we would learn something.

Maybe I misunderstand the ‘drilling out the lands and grooves’. I have read that a 22lr has reached max velocity at about 16” or so and then slows from there to muzzle due to friction. I understand that some expensive target rifles with long barrels for balance and sight radius have been bored out from about the 16” point to the muzzle to eliminate the velocity robbing friction. This sounds like what this person may have done by ‘drilling out lands and grooves’.Have not read anything about this affecting the sound level, though.

Southla1,
The Aguila .22 Colibri is about half what the CCI CB rounds used to be. The new stuff(Colibri) won't go 50 yards. Bullet drop at 25 yards is close to 1 foot, fired from a Browning Lever .22.Firing the Browning at 50 yards, I could not elevate the barrel enough to get 50 yards out of it. I have 3 rounds of the CCI left from years ago. Firing 1 against the Colibri, showed the CCI to be a little less than a .22 short. My Sheridan Blue Streak hits harder than the Colibri.
I will try to get some of the stuff through either my Buckmark or 22/45 this weekend. I suspect their is too much drag in the longer barrel of a rifle for the Colibri to be of much use. It is quiet though.

On topic: Wouldn't drilling out the rifleing just let more gas pass by and increase the noise? Just wondering.

If you really want a quiet .22LR Rifle and your State trusts you check out....

Suppressed Ruger 10-22

Suppressed Ruger 77-22

Or if these don't float you boat and you want a pistol...

Suppressed Ruger MkII

There is another option. Get a suppressor for an existing rifle. I got one for my AR. When coupled with a .22LR Bolt and regular Subsonic Ammo the loudest noise is a toss up btwn the hammer strike and target impact (steel target)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited March 24, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunmart:
agulia ammo has new air powered 22lr that have no report whatsoever in a rifle.try them .there cat killing son of a guns.[/quote]

I just checked the Agulia web site on the primer powered load. It lists a 20 grain bullet at 375 FPS. My CCI "CB" Caps push a 29 grain bullet at an average of 440 FPS (I used my chrony to arrive at this figure). My local hardware store has the CCI at $2.95 per hundred now this is a little more expensive than the Agulia but I trust the CCI a little more plus the ballistics are better. There have been a many of ole Cottonmouths that have fallen to the CCI "CB" Cap and my old Winchester Model 69, in the mighty Atchafalaya Basin in my area. I have no doubt that the Aguila is good but for now I will stick to the CCI.

------------------
Carlyle

what twist do you need to stabilize the 60 grain SSS Aquila?

we are talking ar15 class bullet weight in a 22lr barrel

dZ

Back