Drilling Identification/value

MITHRANDIR

Inactive
I would like to know if anyone can provide me with information on and the cost of this old Drilling I just inherited.....

The rib between the barrels at the top, is marked "W KUNNA KORLENZ" and I believe that to be the manufacturer.

The left and right barrels, on the tops, are marked as "FLUSS STAHL/KRUPP ESSN" as a circle with crossed cannons in the center of the words. I believe that "KRUPP" alludes to the maker of either the steel or the barrels themselves.

The left barrel, in front of the above marked reads "SUHL"

The right barrel, in front of the above mark reads "HUBERTUS"

The number on the trigger guard is a six digit number and does not match the five digit number on the stock, which is on the bottom of the stock just behind the trigger guard. As you look at the drilling from the bottom it is also marked as "WAFFEN FRANKUNIA" just to the right of the number.

It is a 16ga. double barrel with a 8mm (8.57JR??)rimmed barrel directly underneath and between the upper barrels.

Barrels are about 26" long.

Stock has a cheekpiece, a curved buttplate of bakelite and a rounded pistol grip that has a bone flutted cap on it (with a screw in the middle)

There is engraving everywhere but not of scenes, just patterns.

There are more markings on the bottom of the barrels when you remove them from the gun, but they are a repeat on the KRUPP markings..

Any help is appreciated.....

MITHRANDIR:
"FLUSS STAHL/KRUPP ESSN" If my German is correct means "Fluid Steel while the Krupp Essn, indicates to me that Krupp of Essn Germany made the steel.

The term SUHL is the name of a city in Germany, however, I am lead to belive that this would indicate modified choke, while the Herbertus, (St. Herbertus is the patron saint of hunters in Germany and the initiator of the hunting regulations there) may mean full.

To value a drilling is difficult, in particular when one cannot see it. I would try to find an appraisor that is familiar with drillings to get your insurance value. I personally have seen them from $1,000.00 to $3,000.00 and have heard that some are valued at more than that.

Possibly Jim can advise on this one.

HJN

My girlfriend's dad has one that was captured from a warehouse outside Berlin in the Spring of '45. It was built in 1942, is still in its original case complete with cleaning rod, sling, etc., and has never been fired!
It's also got eagles and swastikas engraved and stamped in it.
He let me take it to a guy that deals in Drillings to get some info about it.
The guy said it was built for a high ranking German Officer and would easily sell for between $12,000-$15,000!
I sure would like to have it, but I guess I can keep on dreamin'. :(

Is the W KUNNA KORLENZ actually "Koblenz"? That would be the maker (?) or distributor located in the city of Koblenz.
Is the WAFFEN FRANKUNIA actually "Frankonia" (A Geraman State). They were/are a big sporting goods distrubter that ordered guns made up from them. I don't know when they started, but they are still in bussiness, I think.
If the proof marks are imperial eagles, it was made between 1891 (?) and 1939. If it has Nazi eagles, 1939 to 1945. If it has more scrawny eagles, after 1945. So look on the bottom and see what type of eagles it has.

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited May 09, 2000).]

Thank you , gentlemen, for your input....

while I have not been able to pin down the manufacturer, your info has led me to several other resources that may provide more info...

It seems that Krieghoff still manufacters drillings in Denmark & Austria and they are, also, researching the info you & I have provided....

thank you once again..

[This message has been edited by MITHRANDIR (edited May 11, 2000).]

Back