Drill/Tapping K-31 Receiver

Gregory Gauvin

I have a few K-31 rifles. It has always been an idea on the backburner to scope one. I started playing around with hand loads in one of the rifles and was quite surprised what I could squeeze out of flat based 150 grainers and fire formed 284 win cases. If it's clover leafing with irons, certainly a scope would give it real potential at extended ranges with some 175s. I have a nice piece of glass sitting around not being used.

I know many people put the K-31 clamp on scope mount, because it's easy and doesn't alter the gun. However, should I scope one of my k-31s I will keep it dedicated as a scoped rifle. I never particularly cared for an offset scope. And I do believe the mount I was looking at that requires drilling and tapping will keep the scope as low to the bore axis as possible.

I have heard that the K-31 receivers are very, very hard and difficult to drill, requiring the use of carbide tipped or titanium drill bits or something.

Should I be advised NOT to pursue drilling/tapping because of this? The particular rifle I had in mind to do this has had it's stock refinished, quite beautifully, but no longer has its original finish / collector appeal. I would not alter my other guns.

You may need to SPOT ANNEAL the receiver where you wish to drill.
It is a technique commonly done when hardened steel is to be drilled.
Do some research, its not too difficult.

I used the Swiss Products D&T mount.

The receiver was the hardest I'd ever encountered.

Breaking the surface hardness with a grinding stone helped. Get a few bits for sure, and quality taps that won't be too brittle.

Back