SHORTFUSE

Need info on the Dremel tool.
Which model is the cheapest?
What attachments do I need to
polish the internals of my
pistols? What is a jewelers
rouge (ruge)? How about just
sand paper wet/dry?

Felt polishing tips, preferably conical. Rouge is the equivalent of automotive rubbing compound (say 10000 grit), a very very fine abrasive. Buy one with the flex shaft. Sam's club had the Deluxe kit for less than I paid for my middle of the road model. Also has a drill press attachment in the kit. Flex shaf gives more control of the tip, IMO.

600, 1000, and 2000 grit sandpaper work nice also, but a Dremel has so many uses that you'll be glad you bought one. Never use the grinding tips on a gun. If you buy stones for polishing, buy them from a tool and die store or Brownell's, as hard arkansas stones are too coarse for gunsmithing for most purposes.

The cheapest Dremel is a plain model without rheostat. Sears sells a knockoff reasonably. Jewelers rouge is a very fine abrasive in bar form. Be aware that if you use rouge to polish a part it will not blue with touchup blue without a lot of cleaning first. Wet or dry paper in 320 and 600 grit is useful for polishing, esp. flat polishing.
Brownells have rubber bonded abrasives listed under Dremel Tools that work better than anything for internal work. Get assortment.

My Dremel tool is my bestest buddy in the whole wide world! :)

Seriously though, the hardest thing to do with my Dremel tool is to "Just Say No". You should use your Dremel very sparingly. Once you remove metal, you can't put it back on.

Once you have a dremel tool you look at problems in a different way. "I know I could fix that with my Dremel." I've actually gone as far as to make parts from scratch with mine.

But now I'm in therapy and doing much better.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by chucko (edited September 04, 1999).]

The Dremel tool is a very handy item to have, just don't use it on guns. If you must use it on a gun, work very slowly and carefully. These things can take off alot of metal before you know it. Once its gone, its gone. A few files, stones and some emery cloth will serve you better for 90% of gun work. The Dremel is just too fast and too easy to mess up with.
If you just gotta have one, get a variable speed model.

My Dremel is fitted out with a mandrel to hold assorted rubber bonded abrasive tips. These do not aggressively remove metal; rather, they polish the surface.
If you use stones, you will invent some new curse words. Mounted stones have a tendency to traction out of a cut.

"Drop the Dremel and move away from the gun" is a little extreme. But a Dremel tool, like a computer, can just make a mistake faster. They are tricky and can "run away" from inexperienced (and some experienced) users. Practice some on scrap metal before using a Dremel on anything of any value.

Jim

Man, I really love my Dremel tool!!! I had an old 22 that I worked on. When I was done, I could fit 44 mag shells into it. Man, I can't wait to fire that sucker!!! :) And it works great on cats!! We haven't had to take old Wiskers to the vet in years!!! :) :) It can neuter a cat and you still have time to do some reconstructive surgery all in an afternoon... <BG>

I am just going to do
some polishing with felt
tips! No cutting or
sanding or metalurgy!
Just "POLISHING". Any
cloths I can use to
polish versus the Dremel?

------------------
I got a short temper so watch it!

The "safest" way of doing things is to use wet & dry emery paper in varying fine grades. (This will REMOVE metal !)
Albeit in very small amounts.
Using round wood dowels & popsicle sticks shaved down can be useful items for wrapping the Emery cloth around for polishing curved & flat areas.
I like using my bench grinder with the cloth buffing wheel attached & "loaded" up with the wax polishing compound.
You can really get that mirrored finish on a feed ramp with NO metal removal !
As posted in another post, getting a feed ramp "smooth" is preferable to a mirrored ROUGH one !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

Once you try the rubber bonded abrasive tips you will never go back to felt tips and rouge or abrasive cakes. Much easier to clean up after and they come in different grits.
Search Posttraumatic Stress Disorder on the internet and punch up American Definition. Download the 2 pages. Recognize anyone? When you feel anger coming on, you have forgotten to take your Prozac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back